Trellising cukes

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by sassy_mare, Jul 20, 2005.

1. sassy_mare

sassy_mare Well-Known Member

I planted 2 rows of cukes and put a welded wire fence along both rows. The darn things are growing like mad, but not up the fence! How do I go about training them to go vertical?

Thanks all!
    Sheri

2. Nan

Nan Well-Known Member

I tie mine to a cattle panel with panty hose. I cut the old hose with scissors into strips....from circles cut from the legs. The hose are stretchy and soft enough not to hurt the cucs. Don't break off the ends of the vines or that particular vine won't grow anymore. They grow from the ends. That is what I was told and it seems to be true. You can also weave the vines up through the fencing and wrap the little curly cue things around the fence. Wait till the plants are not damp with rain or dew or it can make them more subseptible to disease.

3. mulliganbush

mulliganbush Well-Known Member

Some plants climb in that they have tendrils that twine around and 'take hold'. For cucumbers, you generally have to help.

I would add to Nan's advice: Do not tie the vine directly to the wire. Tie one loop of the panty hose around the plant, making sure it's loose enough not to cut into the plant, and then tie another loop around the wire. The wire can cut into the vine.

Ray

4. Meg Z

Meg Z winding down

My cukes mostly climbed on their own, but a few I had to start by just tucking the tips through the fence...then they got the idea.

meg

5. starjj

starjj Well-Known Member Supporter

We just wrapped them on the string runners when they were young vines and they took off and boy we have cucumbers. I already said no to them next year because we don't eat enough or can give away enough to justify growing zillions of them. Anyone know if they can be frozen?

6. Kazahleenah

Kazahleenah Disgruntled citizen

I've never froze them.... but they make greak pickles, and relish!! There are so many kinds of pickles, you can do several diffrent types each year.

Kaza

7. Nan

Nan Well-Known Member

I have heard of freezer pickles.....but haven't ever made any.

8. doc623

doc623 Well-Known Member

To starjj :
    Freezing cucumbers:
    2Qts unpeeled cucumbers(sliced)
    2T. salt
    1 or more sliced or chopped onion. Mix together and let stand 2 hours.
    Syrup - boil together
    1.5 C sugar
    .5 C. vinegar
    2t. celery seed
    2t. mustard seed
    .5t. powdered alum
    Boil until sugar is dissolved, let cool.
    Drain cucumbers.
    Cucumbers may be rinsed after being in salt water 2 hours to remove excess salt.
    Mix syrup and cucumbers , put into containers and freeze.
    NOTE:Also letting them set in refrigerator all night before freezingt improves the flavor.

9. starjj

starjj Well-Known Member Supporter

WOW Doc thanks for the receipe!

10. gardentalk

gardentalk Well-Known Member

The DW and I are getting into gardening big-time. No greenhouse or anything like that, yet, but we do spend time out there oohing and aahing over what's growing in the garden. She's been spending a lot of time making relish out of the cucumbers we have. We're letting the ones on the ends of the rows continue to grow, to see if they will "go to seed". Of course I make "dirty jokes" and gestures with those big ol' cucumbers. :D

11. Windy in Kansas

Windy in Kansas In Remembrance

You can make snack chips from cucumbers by slicing thinly, sprinkling on some condiment such as celery salt or onion salt and then dehydrating them.

Cucumbers are mostly water so they won't freeze well, i.e. furnish a usable product that you will want.