Trefoil/Goldenrod 'Pasture'

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by moonwolf, Jul 10, 2006.

1. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

I'll ask this question here in a more general sense rather than for a specific livestock or plant forum or bee forums.

The one piece of ground has a growing mix or primarily birdsfoot trefoil and goldenrod.

What would best utilize this combination to maintain a domestic livestock (which animals?), or bees for honey production?

2. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Sheep or goats will eat both plants. Livestock over insects depends what you're willing to do. Neither are maitenance free, so which would you rather keep, if not both!?

3. rambler

rambler Well-Known Member Supporter

I would wish to get rid of the golenrod with mowing, and promote the bft as it is a very worthwhile forage. I would try to introduce some grasses in place of the goldenrod, and run my livestock.

But that's me, I don't know nothing about much of anything but cattle.

--->Paul

4. Mountaineer

Mountaineer Well-Known Member

Bees love the goldenrod but unless it's hundreds of acres I wouldn't consider keeping it as bee forage. Bees barely get anything from around their hives.

5. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

There is Timothy also, but not as much as the goldenrod.
    So, you think if that goldenrod was mowed down, it would let the trefoil and timothy take it's place? sounds like a good plan to try that. :shrug:
    At what stage would you mow that, and that it wouldn't harm the trefoil when the trefoil is in bloom. It's around 10 inches high now with bright yelllow bloom and the golden rod about over a foot high setting it's buds to blossom soon.

6. bill not in oh

bill not in oh Well-Known Member

Careful about grazing sheep on a pasture with 'goldenrod' - know which 'variety' you have present....

http://www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/med-aro/factsheets/GOLDENROD.html

The pollen of goldenrod is thought to be an aeroallergen, and an allergic reaction may follow physical contact with the flower or pollen (7.8-1). The diterpenes in Solidago species appear to be toxic to sheep (11.1-96). Most species of Solidago found throughout North America, Europe, and Asia and called goldenrod are considered weeds.

7. anniew

anniew keep it simple and honest Supporter

I love goldenrod before it turns bright yellow, as it goes well in flower arrangements...Ann

8. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

If you allow the goldenrod to continue to grow there, it will eventially take over the hay crops that is with it now. Mow it now and bale it for hay. Not great hay, but it would beat snowbanks when them old beef cows start bawling. Don't let the goldenrod go to seed.

9. fordson major

fordson major construction and Garden b Supporter

best too mow before the golden rod or trefoil sets seed. we've fed it as hay too cows both dairy and beef as well as sheep. very hard too cure, makes better haylage and green chop than dry hay. made only 2 cuts of no rain trefoil in 20 years of trying!! also great pasture but needs mowing too control the weeds!