Trees

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Gercarson, Sep 21, 2004.

1. Gercarson

Gercarson Well-Known Member Supporter

I'm hoping the insurance adjuster will find only minor things wrong with my house when checking it out - other than the roof, it does look like the slab foundation may have caved in a little - we've had a great deal of rain in June, July, August and Ivan last week - my acre looks like there have been several places that have "settled" uncomfortably out of kilter. Since all the trees are gone (except the ONE annoying magnolia) I will need to plant trees as close to the house as possible - and ones that will grow pretty fast - we have a lot of "weed" trees that will do that very well but are frowned on - can anyone give suggestions as to what trees will accomplish fast grow and good shade in the shortest period? This is the Pensacola area and we have very nice seasonal changes here but nothing dramatic (lilacs will NOT grow here, nor the old fashioned hollyhocks - alas). Any suggestions will be appreciated.

2. DayBird

DayBird Big Bird

Willow trees, tulip poplars and redtwig maples all grow relatively fast. If you don't prefer these, plant a nice oak tree nearby and cut down the willow before it gets too big. Hopefully the oak tree will be getting bigger by then.

3. breezynosacek

breezynosacek Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear about your place. My stepdaughter lives down there in Milton.

If you have some stuff that looks like it caved in, I would be hoping it wasn't sink holes and don't try to hide the damage....you might regret it later if that kind of stuff is covered on your insurance. You should know by the next major rain/tropical storm that comes through though.

As for quick growing trees...hmm.

Try Musser Forests

Green ash grows quickly. up to 60 feet. grows best in well drained soil. Once established will thrive in dry, sterile soil. Transplants readily used a lot in golf courses, parks, ect. zone 3-9.

River Birch

Open pryamidal growth to 90 feet. Fast growing An excellent tree for low swampy areas. Can even tolerate standing water for several weeks at a time. This variety is immune to birch borer zone 3-9

Gray Dogwood gets only 15 ft. but is considered fast growing. Dense green foliage that turns purple in fall. not the standard dogwood. zone 3-8

Forsythia is fast growing
    Red Maple is fast growing
    Silver Maple is very fast growing
    Hybrid Poplar is very fast growing and says that it should grow 4-8 ft a year.

Check out their web site they do a good discount. I've never ordered from them but I have their catalog. One of these days I might order...

4. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

I have a tulip poplar and it's really a wonderful tree. I'm working now on planning where else to plant some --- when grown, they're one of the tallest trees in America --- 150-200' isn't unusual. Very hardy, too --- tough but very goodlooking. And they grow quickly.

I'm sorry about all the damage you've suffered, esp. the trees. Weed trees, I'd be glad to have gone --- but I know, if I lost my oaks, hickories, dogwoods and my tulip poplar, I'd be pretty devastated. :(

5. farmmaid

farmmaid Well-Known Member Supporter

Shademaster locust grow really fast and are a lovely tree...Joan :)

6. Jenco

Jenco Well-Known Member

Here in Phoenix, Olive trees are quite popular and seem to grow well even in harsh weather conditions. If someone tries to sell you on these (which they probably won't), I would recommend staying away from them as they are quite messy. (lots of excess leaves & olives)