Trees from the National Arbor Day Foundation

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by hisenthlay, Mar 27, 2005.

1. hisenthlay

hisenthlay a.k.a. hyzenthlay

Has anyone ever gotten trees from the National Arbor Day Foundation?

I just came across it, and it seems like a great deal compared to other internet vendors. If you become a member for $10, they will send you 10 "free" seedlings that you can choose from a limited variety (oaks, blue spuce, dogwoods, hawthorns, etc.). These 10 are guaranteed to survive. Then, they have a lot of other trees to sell, including fruit and nut trees, at a reduced rate to members. For example, 3'-4' Apple trees and hazlenut trees are around $8 for members, $12 for non-members.

This is a good deal, right?

2. PonderosaQ

PonderosaQ Well-Known Member Supporter

The seedlings they send you for your initial donation are just that...seedlings. They come in a regular business size envelope and are maybe 3-6 in height once the roots are in the ground. Whether the others are good buys or not probably depends on what else you have available where you live. I have just been buying trees 6-7' tall from my local Home Depot for $9.98. One of our local food stores has fruit trees for $12.99. They are about 5' tall and very healthy looking. Now I'm not saying don't support the Arbor Day Foundation, just telling you from my experience what the $10 gets you.I'd rather choose my own trees locally but as I said it depends what you have available where you are and of course on what the shipping costs would be. Whatever you plant, have fun!!!!

PQ

3. Bruce in NE

Bruce in NE Well-Known Member

The free twigs I got from them were just that. And they all died. You get what you pay for.

4. duke3522

duke3522 Well-Known Member

Here in Indiana the state forestry service sells bundles of a 100 trees for a very low price. My BIL got 100 Virginia Pine 1 year old trees for about $30 with shipping. I am going to order some of the 3 year old spruce next year for a wind break. Maybe your state has a simular program.

Duke

5. southerngurl

southerngurl le person Supporter

Usually, but I just got some great trees from Vernon Barnes and Son Nursery. They have great feedback at gardenwatchdog.com , you can get their number there, they have no website, just a simple catalog.

6. hisenthlay

Hm. Maybe I'll have to look harder locally. I've been going to Home Depot, nurseries, etc., and not finding any fruit trees, but this is my first time looking. The Arbor Day people were cheaper than the other stuff I saw online, but I'll look into Vernon Barnes, too. I don't really have enough space to be ordering trees by the hundred yet :( , but that's a great tip for the future.

Bruce, if you want new twigs, they claim on the website that they'll send you more seedlings if yours die :D

Thanks for the words of wisdom.

7. PonderosaQ

PonderosaQ Well-Known Member Supporter

It might be a hair early to find fruit trees in your area. Try asking at a nursery when they normally come in....

PQ

8. hisenthlay

Yeah, that's true--nothing seems to be in for a few weeks yet. It's sad because I got started too late to do things from seed myself this year, and I'm just finishing up my break in PA which was too early to put in most started plants. It's going to be kind of a hodge podge effort this year, but next year, watch out!

9. Chris in PA

Chris in PA Well-Known Member

If you are looking for conservation type trees - conifers, undergrowth trees, etc. many of which produce feed for the wild birds, you can try calling your extention office. Many counties in PA have a "conservation group" that sells trees in small bundles - 6 for $10 the last I bought any. Some do sell apple trees. They are about a foot tall or more. They are designed for your area. We bought over 30 over the years to make an evergreen windbreak and a screen from any possible neighbors. They are filling out nicely now.

You won't be able to get any this year as the order date has passed but keep it in mind for next year

10. mistletoad

mistletoad Well-Known Member Supporter

We bought fruit trees from Arbor Day Foundation a couple of years ago - we wanted to plant in the fall and not many fruit growers seem to ship in the fall, plus they were very cheap and we wanted a large number all at once. The trees are much smaller than you usually see in the store - about 2-3 feet for the apricots and 3-4 feet for the apples and pears. Due to the very small size of the apricots we potted them up and planted them out last year, they are growing well. The pears died and I think the small size was part of the problem (though the plums and almonds are great). The cherries and hazlenuts were attacked by bunnies (our fault but would not have been a problem with larger trees). I don't regret buying from them, but now the orchard is started we will be buying 2-3 larger trees a year from local sources.

11. birdie_poo

birdie_poo Well-Known Member

I've done it, but not for the trees, but for the cause. They wont give you a choice, either, they send what grows in your area. I keep getting Spruce, which I can't stand because rats love run rampant in them. I donated them to a school, nearby, but the never planted them.

12. luvrulz

luvrulz Well-Known Member Supporter

shipped exactly what I ordered and although they weren't tall huge trees, they were just what we ordered. Their customer service folks were great to work with and have even followed up with me. We ordered fruit and nut trees that weren't available locally..... They shipped bare root trees, they came in a box and we planted them after soaking them for the suggested time.

All plants are doing well! The ones I bought from Lowe's...well, let's just say they didn't make it! I am still waiting for them to replace the grapes that didn't grow, but fortunately, I'm not holding my breath! LOL

It's a slow process getting the fruit and nuts trees to produce so we knew we'd have to wait regardless. All have buds coming out and we're looking forward to a few leaves!

I would probably order from them again - they have strains of trees that you can't find everywhere too!

13. BobK

BobK Well-Known Member

DW did the donation thing despite hearing bad reports from folks on the trees dying. Have to admit we got 12 redbud and a crepe mrytle...so far 8 of the redbud are breaking buds into leaves and 3 of the others look promising.

my $0.02 worth...

14. hisenthlay

Thanks for all the good tips, everyone. I'll keep looking for good deals, but it sounds like the Arbor Day people do a pretty ok job, too.

15. ajaxlucy

ajaxlucy Well-Known Member Supporter

I've done this twice. The first time, I planted the trees around the yard and they all died. The second time, I planted them in a nursery bed for a year, then transplanted them to permanent sites the next year and they did pretty well. Most lived and are now about 15' tall.

16. After 4 years, $40, and 40 trees. I have about 4 trees that are still living. I don't mind my money going for a good cause but I think it's better to spend $10 a year on one good tree that may live to full maturity.