Treefrogs in composter

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by countrygrrrl, Nov 1, 2005.

1. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

I have a bunch of treefrogs living in my composter. I love the treefrogs, but have a few concerns about them being in there over the winter.

First, because winter's coming along, I want to put a composting accelerant into the compost. Will this kill the treefrogs? I personally don't see why it would, but what do I know?

Second, has anyone else ever had treefrogs in their compost? Will the treefrogs in th compost ever really hibernate or will they stay "froggy" all winter, with the help of the heat from the composter? Do I need to do anything to keep them from kicking the bucket? The only place on my property I'm finding treefrogs right now is in the composter (with the exception of a few on the front deck). So I'm assuming all the other treefrogs have gone into hibernation because I have them everywhere until they go away for the winter.

?? I love my treefrogs and would appreciate any input on how to keep the ones in the composter healthy and safe over the winter.

2. NativeRose

NativeRose Texas Country Grandma

Treefrogs are my favorite critter. I had the most I have ever had in my garden this year and there were hardly any bugs.
    I hope you are able to save them or catch and move them. I don't know where you are located as far as winter weather but here in my area of Texas they hibernate under flowerpots and things.
    I love treefrogs!! :D ribbit ribbit

3. Arborethic

Arborethic Well-Known Member

The only accelerant that I can imagine harming a tree frog would be ammonium nitrate, but few headed down the organic path would consider using it. So might I assume you're refering to a fungal/bacterial mix? If so, such organisms are found in compost already. The 'accelerant' is just a way to raise that microbial population to more functional levels. It shouldn't harm a tree frog. They burrow down in natures own compost (the humus layer) in natural settings.

Kind of neat to have your own Tree Frog city!

4. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

They're my fave critters, too. Although I'm quite a fan of leopard frogs. .

We've already had two freezes that I know about and that's why I'm concerned. I know they have a kind of antifreeze type substance which keeps them from freezing, but since they normally hibernate, I assume their physical bodies need to hibernate. ?

5. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

Thanks, Arborethic. That's kind of what I thought --- but I've never used that stuff before, so wasn't sure if it might do something *unexpected.*