Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not sure this is the correct place to ask this question but here goes. We just moved to central Maine and we brought all of our trees from our other home with us...34 in all … lilacs, evergreens, pines and holly...obviously they are all fairly small still. Is it safe to put them in the ground if we build small teepee's over them and wrap them with burlap? We will have snow here by November but the ground won't really freeze until December. Any help would be appreciated. thanks!

·
Uncertified Master Chief Village Idiot
2,021 Posts
Now mind you I'm not from your climate at all, and it's been a few years since horticultural class...

If they were already "dormant" when you dug them to move (if they were in ground at your old home)...I'd say maybe. If they weren't, I'd wait. You didn't say how they're containerized, or how old they actually are....but I'm seriously concerned about transplant shock in your situation.

·
Saltine American
6,277 Posts
If u have to keep them outside in pots, I would plant. I live n N. Ga and would plant them in November.

·
Premium Member
24,051 Posts
Plant them. Water well and mulch heavily to prevent spring root heaving. Then water them if they don't get an inch of rain each week, until the ground freezes. You don't need the teepees but the evergreens should be wrapped with twine if a heavy snow is predicted. The twine is needed to keep the branches from accumulating enough snow to make them snap and break.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Deer like to nibble on young, sweet things. They may need to be covered or wrapped for protection from that. A lot depends on where you came from and where exactly you are now. I'm not too confident they'll do well if you came from Costa Rica, and they'll need less protection if you're now in an in-town situation.

It will have been best if you could've waited until they were dormant....Be careful not to over-water. Roots can drown.

You may also want to consult the ME DNR website to make sure you haven't brought in any invasive species-- like burning bush or Wisteria, common landscape plants that can get out of control in more rustic settings.

·
Registered
10,836 Posts
As someone who as spent almost 50 years in the nursery industry, plant them.
I agree with Danaus 49.
Good advice.

Reactions: fireweed farm

·
Registered
2,675 Posts
I'm not sure this is the correct place to ask this question but here goes. We just moved to central Maine and we brought all of our trees from our other home with us...34 in all … lilacs, evergreens, pines and holly...obviously they are all fairly small still. Is it safe to put them in the ground if we build small teepee's over them and wrap them with burlap? We will have snow here by November but the ground won't really freeze until December. Any help would be appreciated. thanks!
I don’t know when your ground freezes but if you haven’t already, plant them tomorrow as others have stated. They will likely die in pots over winter.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The evergreens and holly are a year and a a half old, and the lilacs and pines are 3 years old, but still small.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts