Tree & plant identification

Discussion in 'Plant and Tree Identification' started by chsdiyer, Aug 27, 2017.

1. chsdiyer

chsdiyer Active Member

Hello, I was hoping someone could help me identify these plants/trees.

This one I've been told is a Mullein but from what i've read about those is they take a year to flower. These have only been growing about a month. Also i've read that plant has fuzzy leaves, where these are pretty smooth. Aside from that, it does have a similar look and grows all over like a weed.
    20170818_172411.jpg

These nuts from what i've read is maybe a pignut hickory tree? Up close, the leaves have very fine teeth like a saw blade.
    20170805_101834.jpg
    20170805_101843.jpg

Not sure what this is. The leaves are pretty big and the bark is almost like a gum or oak tree but it's very light colored, almost white. Also are the holes shown here from insects or wood pecker?
    20170826_133325.jpg
    20170826_130817.jpg

20170826_131708.jpg

Is this a tallow tree?
    20170722_090317.jpg

Thanks!

2. Southern Forest

Southern Forest Well-Known Member

The bottom is Tallow. The second from the bottom is Yellow Poplar, called Tulip Poplar by many. The hickory could be shagbark hickory as it has bark similar to white oak and pecan.

chsdiyer likes this.

3. greenTgoats

greenTgoats Well-Known Member

The hickory is a pignut hickory. I'd say the holes are from an insect, but could be wrong on that.

chsdiyer likes this.
  4. chsdiyer

chsdiyer Active Member

Thanks for the replies! The shagbark hickory does look a lot like the trees we have, but according to wikipedia, there aren't any of that species in our part of the state.

I found it interesting that there were several rows of the holes fairly well organized (not evident from the picture). That's why I thought maybe a wood pecker as he would stand in one spot and just peck different parts left to right, then move up some and repeat. But i'm not sure if that's how they work. I do have a dead pine tree that is being infested by beetles of some type and they do make a similar hole, but this tree is alive and looks healthy.

5. Southern Forest

Southern Forest Well-Known Member

Those holes are from a sapsucker or other wood pecker and are used largely for catching insects. They are very common on pecans and related varieties.

HeavyHauler, RichNC and chsdiyer like this.
  6. chsdiyer

chsdiyer Active Member

Thanks!

Does anyone know what that plant at the top is? The yellow flowers also look very similar to snap dragon.

Also, sorry, I just realized my subject line was basically the forum subject backwards. Sorry for not being a little more original.

7. greenTgoats

greenTgoats Well-Known Member

Didn't see the last one. It's a quaking aspen. Not sure about the yellow flowers.

8. Danaus29

Danaus29 Well-Known Member Supporter

If you could provide a better picture of the flowers it sure would help.

9. chsdiyer

chsdiyer Active Member

Sorry for the delayed response. I've been away, but here are some more photos of that plant. I was driving back from New York and stuck in traffic in Pennsylvania when I looked on the side of the interstate and happened to see a plant that looked much more like the results I find on google when I search Mullein...not what I seem to have, but perhaps the same family.

Attached Files:

10. PrairieClover

PrairieClover Well-Known Member

Yellow flowers look like wild yellow sweet pea to me.

11. turkscap

turkscap New Member

The yellow flowering plant is definitely not

12. turkscap

turkscap New Member

The yellow flowering plant is definitely not mullen