Tree of Heaven

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by topside1, Aug 13, 2006.

1. topside1

topside1 Retired Coastie Supporter

Hi folks, my question is, has anyone ever used Chinese Sumac as a firewood. I realize everything burns, however before I go through all the trouble of cutting, splitting and drying I would like to know how well it burns. I have approx. 14 of these large worthless trees that need to come down, all they do is spread seed. Hate to see them just rot in the woods. Nothing eats the new seedlings/saplings and I don't blame the animals the plant/tree just stinks and must taste horrible....John

DESCRIPTION
    Tree-of-heaven, also known as ailanthus, Chinese sumac, and stinking
    shumac, is a rapidly growing, deciduous tree in the mostly tropical quassia
    family (Simaroubaceae). Mature trees can reach 80 feet or more in height.

HABITAT IN THE UNITED STATES
    Tree-of-heaven is a common tree in disturbed urban areas, where it sprouts up
    just about anywhere, including alleys, sidewalks, parking lots, and streets. The
    book “A Tree Grows in Brooklyn,” by Betty Smith based on the ailanthus tree.

2. mammabooh

mammabooh Metal melter Supporter

From what I've heard, it burns FAST. So, if you need to get it out of your woods, fine, but don't count on it to heat your house for very long.

I believe there is a chart somewhere on-line that shows heat outputs of the different woods...I'll have to ask hubby.

3. Mountaineer

Mountaineer Well-Known Member

I use hardwoods and conifers for heat, and softwoods like aspens/poplar for outdoor fires (campfires).
    I hate wasting good winter wood on summertime campfires. If you don't have a nice campfire in your garden it's a perfect time to make one.

4. topside1

topside1 Retired Coastie Supporter

I use oak, maple and hickory on a regular basis. Just wondering if someone had actually tried to burn Chinese Sumac and did it adequately burn and heat your home..thanks John

5. vicker

vicker Well-Known Member

Tree of Heaven is terribly invasive. Cut them down. Then decide what to do with them. Rotting is fine, or pile them up and have a weiner roast. They are good in urban areas, because they don't disturb sidewalks and foundations with thier root systems but, like I said, they are very invasive. In would cut first and ask questions later :)