Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got some logs from someone who was giving them away and I'm not sure what kind of tree it is. Is it possible to tell from just the wood? I did not see any leaves or branches.

The wood was recently cut and it had a very strong smell that I'm quite not sure how to describe.

The pictures show how the bark has been peeled off in some places, revealing a reddish-orange "skin" underneath.

The piece of the trunk is quite large, about two and a half feet in diameter.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Looks like Northern red oak to me. It makes good firewood but needs to be properly seasoned. I have burnt a lot of it but prefer the white oak varieties if available; but I will take and use any wood that is available. Good find.

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
I'd say some type of red oak as well. I'm not familiar w/northern red oak, I'm too far south, but it could be. Oak typically has an odor to it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm thinking you guys are right. Thanks so much for the help! I will probably use some as firewood and I am planning on using some to grow oyster mushrooms via the "totem" method.

·
Premium Member
11,554 Posts
I don't know.. looks like it could be a type of smooth bark hickory too... Would help to know where the OP is, and be able to see a closer picture of the wood grain after a piece is split..;

·
Premium Member
11,554 Posts
I've got a friend that lives in Clinton, and I just moved out from Alexandria... It could be a red oak, but I'm still leaning towards a Hickory... Lots of Hickory in that area, and the light and dark tones kind of point more to that...

·
Registered
9,575 Posts
Looks like Northern red oak to me. It makes good firewood but needs to be properly seasoned. I have burnt a lot of it but prefer the white oak varieties if available; but I will take and use any wood that is available. Good find.
TnTnTn has it right. That's Norther Red Oak. Has a vinegary doggy doo kinda smell.:thumb:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts