Tree disease question

Discussion in 'Plant and Tree Identification' started by thequeensblessing, Apr 19, 2005.

1. thequeensblessing

thequeensblessing Well-Known Member

I'm not sure if any of you can help me at all with this question. This may not even be the best place to post this question, but seeing as there isn't a tree disease board, I thought I'd have a go here. I have a friend who's bradford pear
    has very few new leaves or blossoms on it this year. When you take a close look, you see that the new buds have died and look almost like they were burned or cicada damaged, however it's not cicada damage because there's no sign of actual cicada damage to the twigs. Although the buds are dead, and dried out, the actual twigs are still very green. There are no new leaf or flower buds forming on those twigs.

About 50 feet away from this pear tree is a silver maple tree with all the same symptoms; few leaves, many dead, dried buds on still green twigs.

Any idea what this could be? My arborist hubby is confused too. If no one knows what it is, does anyone have a good website they could steer us toward? Thanks in advance.

2. mzzlisa

mzzlisa Well-Known Member

3. stormwalker

stormwalker Well-Known Member

Wonderful site! Thanks!