Treats for sheep

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by Ana Bluebird, May 7, 2006.

1. Ana Bluebird

Ana Bluebird Well-Known Member Supporter

I'm new with sheep, have experience with goats, but just got two four-month-old ewes, not too far off their mom. I'm trying to make friends, but they don't seem to like any of the treats that I tempt my goats with. Any suggestions?

2. seymojo536

seymojo536 Well-Known Member

My Shetlands LOVE animal crackers, sunflower seeds and will run over each other for fresh vegetable greens.

3. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Apple slices I don't use treats as they'd kill each other for a treat, but sheep love apples

4. kesoaps

kesoaps Well-Known Member

Mine like cereal, too. I find it's easier to make friends when they haven't got anyone else to cling to, though. Seems mean to seperate them, but if you've go a couple of different little paddocks where you can befriend them one at a time, that may help speed up the process.

5. YuccaFlatsRanch

YuccaFlatsRanch Well-Known Member Supporter

I prefer to find a bucket and sit on it in their pen and be very quiet. They will come up and make friends on their terms.

6. ajaxlucy

ajaxlucy Well-Known Member Supporter

My Shetlands like leaves pulled off of the apple and mulberry trees, or leafy branches from the honeysuckle and blackberry bushes. I also have a little metal bucket with wheat berries dusted with diatomaceous earth that they get as a treat/fly reducer.

7. Meg Z

Meg Z winding down

Mine didn't care much for any of the treats I use for the goats...apples, carrots and such. What mine will do anything for is Alfalfa cubes! I have to break them up, because they're too big for the sheep to eat easily, but a bag of cubes is about ten bucks here...and that'll last me about a year! Cheap, keeps well, and it's what they want!

Meg

8. Siryet

Siryet In Remembrance

We use dog biscuts. They love them. :)

9. veme

veme Well-Known Member Supporter

That's my trick too! :dance:
    I give those cheap peanutbutter sandwich cookies as a treat (you know the ones- 2lbs. for $1).
    I have also found that the are the just the thing for flushing before breeding or for any ewe that looks like she's thinking about doing a Toxemia trip... the Vet just smiles. :p

veme

10. Patty0315

Patty0315 Well-Known Member

Apples , carrots , oranges yes oranges, pears , grapes , lettuce, bread, cookies.