treatment for chillblaines

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Deb&Al, Mar 5, 2005.

1. Deb&Al

Deb&Al Well-Known Member

hello all,

on the back of my calves i have what i think is called chillblaines. i have tried, unsuccessfully, to locate information on this over the internet, but have had no luck.

i have a five-block walk from the parking garage to where i work, and the backs of my calves, below my knees, starting about two weeks ago, with this frigid-frigid temperature, would just burn and burn all day, and be hot to the touch.

then, there was roundish patches that itched, and unfortunately, i scratched them and that made it worse. now the skin is tight and very dry and flaky on these "patchy" areas.

i've been putting baby oil on them, but it doesn't seem to be working. one of my books talks about using wheatgrass, mushed up, as a poultice, for skin problems. does anyone know if this would work?

also, is there something my body is lacking, vitimin wise, that led to this condition, in addition to being outside?

when it started it felt like a wind burn, but i couldn't understand why it would be on the backs of my calves, instead of the front.

i tried going to a dermatology site, but i couldn't get through the list of pictures of skin conditions because they made me sick, and now i'm obsessing that i've got some killer skin condition. i feel pitiful, just pitiful. :(

debbie

2. Mudwoman

Mudwoman Well-Known Member

I use a cream I got on the internet for eczema/dermatitis It works great and may work for you.

www.FreeDerm.com

3. kentuckyhippie

kentuckyhippie Well-Known Member Supporter

Debbie, I get the same thing on my hands when I'm out in the cold a lot because I have circulation problems. the best thing I have found is a salve called Bag Balm. It is used on cows udders when they get chapped and sore. You can get it at a farm supply store or sometimes walmart has it. Its usually back in the pharmacy area cause more people around here use it than animals. Its kind of smelly but you can rub it on before you go to bed then put on a pair of socks so it don't get in your bedding and it works really well.

4. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    Did you rescently become exposed to a new chair? Maybe it could be a toxic reaction if that is the case.

5. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

Sometimes one letter off can mess up a search! Here is some good info on 'chilblain'. Most people have never seen this because it is now relatively uncommon with our central heating. In my mother's day it was quite common.

http://www.epodiatry.com/chilblains.htm

Hope you get better soon.

6. Deb&Al

Deb&Al Well-Known Member

thank you all so much for the information and the link. i now know what it is. i do have some cracking of the skin, and i hope i don't get the skin ulcers the one article talked about.

this is what must have happened...

when i walk from the courthouse to my car, five blocks, i remember being very cold, and when i get in my car i turn the heater on full blast, and set the setting to blow warm/hot air down to my feet and legs, because they are very very cold.

i wear two sweatshirts and a sweater underneath my coat, and a hat and a scarf around my neck, but my coat only goes to my knees, and while the rest of me is warm, from the knees down, i've been extremely cold.

that must have set up the condition of the chilblains, from what i've read about the physiology of it. i've been doing this for two weeks, no wonder it's getting worse and worse.

thank you all so much for the information you supplied.

debbie

7. nodak3

nodak3 Well-Known Member Supporter

In ND and WY we called it winter itch--ain't it awful??!! I always got relief fairly quickly from a two prong approach. I took a long warm bath with oatmeal-1/2 cup-added to the water to sooth. Then I used cortizone ointment--not creme, if you can find it. Otherwise use creme but use it more often. When I would be going ice fishing, etc, I would put a fairly heavy layer of vasoline on the areas I was prone to get it before going out, then cover with tight fitting cotton clothing under everything else. Good luck!!

8. Mid Tn Mama

Mid Tn Mama Well-Known Member Supporter

Avoid the expensive creams, avoid the steroids and cortisones...

Dilute some vinegar (50:50) with water and rinse the area with the vinegar. do this every day and also, rinse your body with this when you shower. Really works. And solves dandriff too. Probably because some winter dryness may be caused/attracts fungus and this cures it. Also works with athletes foot.

9. Don Armstrong

Don Armstrong In Remembrance

Also avoid the vinegar on the cracked skin. If it hurts you, it's doing damage. You're already damaged - you don't need to make it worse.

If the chilblains itch use an antihistamine. Histamines are released by damaged cells, and itchy chilblains are common.

If the skin needs moisturising, try baby lotion. It's cheap, doesn't smell objectionable (or much at all), and is about as good a moisturiser as you can get. However, watch those cracks. They can get infected, and if they do you'd better use some form of medicated cream.

10. Deb&Al

Deb&Al Well-Known Member

don,

i've been using baby oil since yesterday and i've seen about a 30 percent improvement. i'm going to do an oatmeal soak tonight.

thank you all for your suggestions and information.

debbie

11. Miz Mary

Miz Mary Well-Known Member Supporter

I swear by Bag Balm !! Green square can, wonderful on all kinds of skin problems!!

12. 3girls

3girls Well-Known Member

DITTO right after the bath or shower while the skin is still damp (just after drying). It will hold the moisture in solviing what is probably the problem. Sure stops the itching for me.

13. poppy

poppy Guest

Different people respond to different things. I have used everything from Crisco, bag balm, baby oil, and probably 20 different brands of skin cream, some of them pretty expensive. I finally tried a jug of cocoa butter lotion the I got at one of those dollar type stores for a buck. Been using it 3 winters now with no problem.