treating Pink Eye

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by mojack, Jul 13, 2004.

1. mojack

mojack Member

Was working goats yesterday and got something in my eye. It turned red and has swelled up alittle and is sore. Anyone have a home remendy for pink eye ? I think I have some power that is used for treating anminals with pink eye.

Thanks for any help

Jack

2. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

Eww! I THINK some goat pink eye is caused by chlamydia --- not positive, but I seem to recall that's the case. That could be not so good in a person, if that's true and if that's where you got the pink eye --- :(

Does anyone know this for sure?

:confused:

I got pink eye years ago - the doctor told me it's fairly unusual in adults - but i had been under a lot of stress (my mom had just died, and I was teaching and in grad school) and I think we decided I'd scratched my eye somehow without noticing, due to everything that was going on. He gave me some kind of ointment.

3. Mommalee

Mommalee Well-Known Member

My son appears to have a touch of pinkeye. I just did some research and a couple things I've found: Warm wet regular tea bags directly on the eyes for 5 minutes every hour or so. My neighbor swears by it. One website claimed that honey is a natural antiseptic, and to put a teaspoon in a cup of warm water and irrigate the eye with it. I haven't tried either yet, but let me know if you try it and it works. :)

4. suelandress

suelandress Windy Island Acres Supporter

Just heard about this on the radio. Pink eye supposedly is caused by bacteria....poor hygeine...which is why kids get it more. If you got something in your eye in the barn, it could well have had "waste" on it. Try the tea bags....they might put you on antibiotics at the doctors, but more likely they'll let time take care of it.

5. Shrek

Shrek Singletree Moderator Staff Member

Johnsons baby shampoo can be used to cleanse an eye. I keep a bottle in my first aid kit with an eye cup to rinse if I get something splashed in my eye . I rinse with the shampoo, then distilled water and then use eyedrops.

6. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

Flush it out really well with some saline and make sure you don't still have a foreign body in there. My eye was bothering me after I cut my dd's fingernails with the clippers. The next day, with an irritated eye, I found a clipped nail, still in my eye! Put a couple tsp salt in a pint of boiled water. Use a syringe to irrigate it.

7. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Most pink eye in animals is chlamidia and is treated with tetracycline. If flushing with a saline solution doesn't help and it isn't improved quickly then I'd go to the Dr's office sooner rather than later. I've seen ulcerated eyes and it's not pretty.

8. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

I second that. The pink eye children (and people) get is different than the pinkeye goats get. When I had goats, I was given stern warning about the dangers of the kind of pinkeye they get.

So, if the other methods don't work fairly quickly, go to the doctor because chlamydia can cause very serious problems in humans.

9. almostthere

almostthere Well-Known Member

My dh is recovering from sawdust in his eye-from Sunday. He had the swelling and redness you described. He went to the ER, after only getting out only half of it out himself, and then we ended up at the eye dr today. There was still more in there, embedded in his eyelid. His eye is scratched, and he's on drops that sting like $%^&. Your eyes are very important and worth being fussy about. The only reason he didnt go to the eye dr yesterday was b/c the er dr told him he will still feel like something in there, but he claimed he got it all. So much for that. he's going back friday after it has rested some and check for damage. even if you do have something like an infection, its still ok to be cautious.

10. mojack

mojack Member

Thanks for the help. I will try the tea bag. I put honey in my coffee every morning is that the same?
    I might try putting a small amount in my eye and see what happens.

Thanks again.
    Jack