Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am think that my roster has leg mits and from that I have read the easiest was to get rid of them is to give him a bath in warm water then wash his legs in vegetable oil and seal it all with a non- petroleum jelly. My question is would it be on to do this with the weather getting cold or would he get a chill from being all wet ? I don’t want to leave the mits all winter, but at the same time I don’t not think there are going to be any more warm days to wash him on until spring.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Well if you get the legs wet wont that keep the oil from sticking?

I have oiled the legs my my chickens but I wonder if it doesn't need to be done say once a week as I haven't gotten rid of the mites yet.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Warm water wash.. dry legs off... apply oil or vaseline (both aren't necessary). Do it at least 2x a week.

You're not dunking the bird head to toe, so they'll be fine. They stand out in the rain in the winter, no?

·
Registered
13,304 Posts
4cc incectable ivomec per gallon of water, only water source for 24 hours, repeat in 3 weeks.

·
Registered
149 Posts
We use vaseline on the legs(no bath) and permethrin-10 on the perches and coop walls. This has successfully gotten rid of mites for us before.

·
Registered
250 Posts
We use vaseline on the legs(no bath) and permethrin-10 on the perches and coop walls. This has successfully gotten rid of mites for us before.
That’s it right there I may add you need to get rid of all the old scratch in the coop also. my pap used to keep old motor oil in a mason jar if you caught one up to weigh or move you dipped his feet in that jar. Dusted it with seven dust and sent him/her on their way. Rarely did we have lice/mites

1 - 6 of 6 Posts