Treated lumber

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Bigdog, Dec 10, 2006.

1. Bigdog

Bigdog Well-Known Member

Is it safe to use treated lumber for raised beds? I know the old stuff was bad and not to be used but have no idea about the new stuff

Thanks Bigdog

2. Paquebot

Paquebot Well-Known Member

ACQ treated lumber is safe to use for raised beds.

Martin

3. Bigdog

Bigdog Well-Known Member

is that on the board or do you have to ask for the spec sheet on it

4. Paquebot

Production of CCA treated lumber ceased as of 31 December, 2003. Virtually all such lumber was phased out of the system by mid-2004. The company selling you the lumber now will tell you what it's treated with.

Martin

5. Bigdog

Bigdog Well-Known Member

I called Home Depot and they say they are switching over to MCQ treated wood. I emailed Yellawood and they sent me a reply this morning and said it is safe for raisesd beds also

Micronized Copper Quaternary (MCQ)

Bigdog

6. northstarpermie

northstarpermie Well-Known Member

Use rocks or untreated lumber. The chemicals they use for treated lumber now are better than they were, but I still don't trust lumber treated with chemicals to be holding the soil I'm going to grow food in. Rocks don't leach chemicals into the soil and last forever. Just my 2 cents worth.

7. COSunflower

COSunflower Country Girl Supporter

I made my last raised bed with rocks as I read that if you use treated lumber, you should plant at least 4 inches away from the edges so that the chemicals won't leach into your plants but to be safe, I'm not using ANY!!! I just read today in Countryside Magazine about using old tires for planting. Would the chemicals in the rubber be bad for you too???

8. Paquebot

The chemicals in rubber, plastic, and many organic materials can be bad for you. Don't eat them! Tires start out with deep tread and slowly wear out. We breathe the material in with no problem. Tires manufactured now are made to last almost a day less than the age of the vehicle. Once off the vehicle, they will last forever. To do so, virtually nothing will leech out.

Also, the planting 4 inches away from treated lumber was a guide to assure almost zero contact with the original CCA treated lumber. This was despite tests by the Forests Products Laboratory which proved that there was almost zero lateral migration of the arsenic in the soil.

Martin

9. seedspreader

seedspreader AFKA ZealYouthGuy

I used tires this last season.

The only problem I have had is that I have this tremendous desire to rotate my shoes occasionally.