Treated Lumber for Planters?

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Lady TS, May 20, 2004.

1. Lady TS

Lady TS Well-Known Member

Dh came across a bunch of free treated lumber and jumped at the offer to let him have it for free. He hauled it all home and stacked it neatly by our garage and then built a planter and put it out by our garden and put a few tomatoes in it. The tomatoes are growing so much faster than the ones in the ground..........then someone at dh's workplace told him he shouldn't use treated lumber to grow veggies in.....

Does anyone know if there is any real danger in using treated lumber for veggie planters? Would you do it?

Kind of wondering what to use this lumber for.......hmmmm

2. surferchick

surferchick Guest

If you're doing organic gardening, then I would think you would not want to use treated lumber. Otherwise most people around here use pretty much anything and don't worry about it. (We do worry so we will only be using untreated lumber).

3. Idahofarmergal

Idahofarmergal Well-Known Member

If you don't like the idea of ingesting arsenic along with your tomatoes, then I suggest not using treated lumber. Arsenic is being phased out of use for treated lumber by the government. It may be illegal already, or it will be soon. Wonder why? It is not safe. It is a deadly poison. Even in minute quantities it will cause illnesses that folks don't know are coming from their wonderful, home grown food. It leaches into the soil. Treated lumber is no longer used in playgrounds. All of our schools around here have replaced their playground equipment that had treated lumber in it. Copper compounds are mostly being used instead. Copper is safer than arsenic, but for humans it is a micro nutrient and a little goes a long ways. It leaches into the soil, also.

4. limhyl

limhyl Well-Known Member

I agree with farmgirl. It's not worth the risk nor would I leave it anywhere where it will come in contact with the soil. Perhaps you could make planters and just grow flowers in them?

5. Lady TS

Lady TS Well-Known Member

Well, dh has opted to leave the three tomato plants in the planter he has built. He says that he's not too worried about arsenic poisoning because this wood has been outside in the form of a deck for a long time(I don't know how long, but the wood is breaking down in some parts).

Don't know how I feel about it, but there are plenty of other tomato plants for me to get MY tomatoes from! ;)

6. MIFarmGirl

MIFarmGirl Member

IdahoFarmGirl is RIGHT! Not only do not eat those tomatoes, get that wood away from your home! I only get this emphatic because I am recovering from arsenic poisoning - thanks to treated lumber and leaching into our water sources from pesticides. Believe me, it is not fun, and definitely not something worth playing with, I don't care how economical the lumber is up front. I learned the hard way - you pay one way or another....

7. Paquebot

Paquebot Well-Known Member

Everyone is warning Lady TS against arsenic when there was no mention as to if there was any arsenic involved. Arsenic has not been used in the general manufacture of pressure treated lumber for some time. CCA treated lumber can not even be sold for home use! ACQ treated lumber has no arsenic.

Martin