Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I came across a bit 'o extra funds (Christmas money from my parents), and the hubby suggested I find a belt for my sewing machine. How do I find a local supplier, much less someone who carries the belt? My usual source is not open this week...

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I believe Lehman's has them. If it's not on their site or in the catalog you can call them. We bought our's from them a few years ago.

katlupe
Ah that's right! I did find them on Lehman's site but the shipping is $7.95 when the belt is $5.95. I will have to purchase my belt when it is combined with another order :) If the sewing machine has been sitting there that long, I am sure I can wait a bit longer--I think! :p

·
Premium Member
18,153 Posts
In a pinch you could go to an auto parts store that sells rubber hose by the foot. Buy some small diameter (1/4" to 5/16" OD) rubber hose that is typically sold as windshield washer hose or vacuum hose. You'll need about a 6-foot length. Bring it home, cut it to length, and connect the ends with a staple.

·
Trainer of kids, dogs and horses...fears nothing
8,598 Posts
treadle belts are readily available from a number of different sources.
Go to eBay and type in "treadle belt" (most eBay-ers also have a free-standing website, if you don't want to eBay)

They'll run you between $4 and $8.

·
Trainer of kids, dogs and horses...fears nothing
8,598 Posts
BTW, if you really want a local supplier, your best bet might be to drop in to your local sewing shop and asking them to order you a treadle belt.

·
Happy Scrounger
13,634 Posts
sigh. I just use the leather belting on a roll we have. cut to length and use the awl to stitch it together. Didn't know you could actually ORDER a premade belt. :doh:

·
Registered
859 Posts
yea fabric stores and sears were still selling them in the late 90s (the last time I bought one. bought 3 figuring it would probably be enough for my lifetime!).

·
Registered
171 Posts
You can get a belt for a treadle sewing machine from Gohn Bros. in Middlebury, IN. Here is a web page with contact information (but almost nothing else):

http://www.gohnbrothers.com/index.html

You can order a catalog, but you could also just call and get the price and shipping information, then order over the phone. I am sure their price will be less than Lehman's.

Gohn Bros.' catalog includes dry goods and clothing for plain people (Amish, Mennonite, and Brethren).

River

·
Premium Member
5,459 Posts
DH bought mine from the local vacuum shop that happens to also work on sewing machines. It was about 4 years ago and he only gave 8.95 + tax.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I am going to try to get out today (it's POURING rain!!!) and check my options--if the auto supply store has the rubber tubing, I'll try that. If not, I'll see if the vacuum repair place might have one :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts