Travel Trailer without a title

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by ladybug, Aug 13, 2007.

1. ladybug

ladybug Missing Home

Hi all, someone just gave us a 1968 travel trailer that needs some work but they no longer have the paperwork on it. They are giving me a bill of sale but in Louisiana the DMV told me you have to have a title no matter how old it is, does anyone know of a way to get this otherwise or is it legal to register it in another state?

2. LvDemWings

LvDemWings Well-Known Member

3. LvDemWings

4. lewbest

lewbest Well-Known Member

If you can't find any "paper trail" in LA maybe you have relatives, friends, etc. that could do it in Texas? It's not a simple process (I've been through it on 2 trailers) but you can get a "bonded title" in Texas.

Lew near Waco

5. busybee870

busybee870 Well-Known Member

apply for a lost title

6. Ramblin Wreck

Ramblin Wreck Well-Known Member Supporter

That's what we do in our state, and it's not a very onerous process.

7. ladybug

ladybug Missing Home

Thank you for the great responses :) , I need to find out from the man were getting it from where it was last titled, it was slightly damaged by the hurricane here but didn't flood so it needs work but you can't beat free! :rolleyes:

8. LvDemWings

If it was damaged it may have been written off as salvage and you would need a salvage title.

9. Rowdy

Rowdy Well-Known Member

What are you going to use it for? If you are not going to actually use the "travel" feature of the travel trailer, ie, its going to sit on your place as a house, storage, chicken house, whatever, then you might not bother with a title.
    I mean, get one if you can, but if it is a huge or impossible hassle, and you are not going to pull it over the road, then why bother?

10. Jim S.

Jim S. Well-Known Member

If the lost title route doesn't work, try to find someone here who will tag it for you in Alabama, where all vehicles pre-1973 can get registered and a car tag (license for Yankees) with a bill of sale. Then transfer it into your state, where a new title will be issued. Guys do this with antique cars all the time. You could put an ad on the barter board asking for help.

11. Raptor

Raptor Well-Known Member

Can you apply for a homemade title? You can in Texas.

12. james dilley

james dilley Well-Known Member Supporter

You can No longer get A bonded title in Texas , I was told this 3 months ago by the Title Office in Pharr. How ever you can get one in Mississippi

13. lewbest

lewbest Well-Known Member

Just did a quick google search; found no reference to changes. I got (actually applied for & paid for) my last one April 3; came through no problems. They did change quite a few laws this legislative session. Still might be worth looking into.

Lew near Waco

14. ladybug

ladybug Missing Home

What we're hoping to do is restore it and get it tagged so we can use it for camping but it is literally impossible to do here without a title according to the tax office. I'm very suprised that the people we got it from just gave it away, it was in very good shape for being a 68' and has very little damage at all, they had to get rid of it because their insurance company said they had too much stuff in their yard and wouldn't insure them otherwise. So basically I would just need an address for what ever state I decide to register in? Thanks for all the help :D

15. logbuilder

logbuilder Well-Known Member

As a last resort, there are companies that specialize in this sort of situation. Probably not the least costly solution but should work. Here is an example.

http://www.broadwaytitle.com/