Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What can we use to bait a small havaheart trap to catch a weasel coming to the barn that won't be bait for the barn cats?

·
Premium Member
3,463 Posts
The best weasel bait is the bloodiest meat you can find. A chicken head is my personal favorite. Good luck avoiding cats. But I would put the trap somewhere the cats can't get, but the weasel can. Even if you have to make a small hole in the wall somewhere.

You can buy weasel lure, but I am not sure if it is weasel specific...

You can also make up a weasel box. Just google it. A small box with a hole in it that is far too small for a cat, with a regular rat sized snap trap in there.

·
Registered
7,150 Posts
Unless you have a havahart trap that I'm not aware of, you are looking at mission impossible. The triggers are generally too stiff for a herd of pachyderms to throw them without modification. Then, just assuming that you can get a weasel to spring the trap, he could just squeeze through the mesh on most of them. If you did manage to hold him, their tolerance of confinement would leave you with an exhausted weasel with bloody nubs for teeth, in most cases, thereby making live capture pointless.

For effective lethal weasel control, get some of the rat snap traps with the big yellow plastic triggers. Then build a box that the trap has just enough room to go off in, tight from side to side, and just high enough for the strike bar to make it's travel. you want to make it long enough for a trap on either end and some bait, (chicken liver, liver of any kind, blood) bait goes in the center, between the traps. Cut holes in the ends of the box, 1 1/2 " diameter, kind of high. Idea is for weasel to go through hole and step down onto the plastic trigger and get whacked on the back of the neck, dying instantly. Box can be elaborate with a lid for rebating, or it can be a shoe box. Set it on the edge of a building, fence, ditch etc. Culverts are pretty hot. If you set it up against a building and prop a board up that is a little longer than the box it should be completely cat proof.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts