Trap Line

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Anataq, Aug 31, 2004.

1. Anataq

Anataq Well-Known Member

Does any one here run a trap line?

-Anataq

2. idahocurs

idahocurs Well-Known Member

As I stated in the other post I have in the past and will in all likleyhood set some steel this winter though it is not for the money (fur is not worth enough).

3. Haggis

Haggis MacCurmudgeon

I started running muskrat traps by myself when I was 6 years old, and still run traps when I'm up to it and have the time. If my math is correct this makes 48 years, and I'm a youngster at it.

4. ksredman

ksredman Well-Known Member

I run a trapline every winter, just a hobby that works into my full time job of farmer, cattleman. It is my winter vacation, taken a few hours a day.

5. Anataq

Anataq Well-Known Member

Where did you learn to trap? I have not intention of selling furs, but I would like to use them. Pam is very good at making garments and blankets etc. I have read a bit about trapping and tanning, but I am wondering if any of you have any tips. I can send out the furs to be tanned, but I would like to learn, after all the winter is long.

-Anataq
    www.pawcreekhomestead.com

6. mousecat33

mousecat33 Well-Known Member

There's a book titled "Tan Your Hide", I can't name the author right now, but it is very informative..

My method now is Brain tanning,,,,every animal has enough brains to tan its own hide :haha:

Did a hog hide(wild pig) last spring. It is very nice to look at. Thinking maybe of making a hat of it. Planning on mucho trapping this winter for clothing and crafts.

mc

7. idahocurs

idahocurs Well-Known Member

The best thing to do is find a local trapper to tag along with but Trapperman.com is a go source of alot of info.

8. I run a few mouse traps here in my house occasionally but not much for anything else. However I do read the magazine called Fur-Fish & Game and enjoy reading about trapping different animals for food and profit. It is very informational and there are books and video's that you can order from it. Do a search on the magazine and you can probably find there phone number or mailing address.