Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have to make the almost 2-hour road trip to pick up the three Pygmy kids and are taking my Jeep Wrangler 4 door.

For those of you who don’t have a livestock trailer, how do you transport your goats? Do you use bedding/straw on a tarp? Old towels/blankets? Do you use a dog crate? Will the kids go to the bathroom a lot during the 2-hour ride? Any suggestions on what to bring to make the trip easier?

I do have a waterproof pad as well as another thick microfiber pad on top of that in the back of the Jeep, as we frequently take our 3 huskies out for rides.

I‘m curious to see how others transport their goats without a trailer! 😁🐐OIIIIIIIO

·
Premium Member
27,082 Posts
Dog crates keep them contained so they don't chew on your seats or try to drive for you. Lay a tarp in the back before setting crates in the car. Yes, your goats will pee during the trip. I don't know if goat pee ruins towels. It would be better to use bedding that can be composted. I think goats would chew on absorbent pads.

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
a big dog crate is prefect to keep them contained. And keep the poop/pee contained in a single location, just put some bedding in the bottom to help. I think you will find most of us have transported livestock in the back of a vehicle. Sheep, goats, and even bottle calves have been brought to the farm in the back of my Tahoe. The guys that worked at the livestock auction where I'd occassionally purchase bottle calves would laugh when they saw me backing up my Tahoe to the loading area. Heck it worked.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
a big dog crate is prefect to keep them contained. And keep the poop/pee contained in a single location, just put some bedding in the bottom to help. I think you will find most of us have transported livestock in the back of a vehicle. Sheep, goats, and even bottle calves have been brought to the farm in the back of my Tahoe. The guys that worked at the livestock auction where I'd occassionally purchase bottle calves would laugh when they saw me backing up my Tahoe to the loading area. Heck it worked.
I’d love to see pics, esp of the calves!

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Dog crates keep them contained so they don't chew on your seats or try to drive for you. Lay a tarp in the back before setting crates in the car. Yes, your goats will pee during the trip. I don't know if goat pee ruins towels. It would be better to use bedding that can be composted. I think goats would chew on absorbent pads.
Advice taken! I didn’t consider the chewing on my seats factor lol!

·
Registered
558 Posts
Advice taken! I didn’t consider the chewing on my seats factor lol!
Here’s some of the calves we threw in the bed of our truck in a really big crate when we didn’t have a trailer don’t have any pics of them in bed but here’s those calves who got loaded in the bed of the truck
10DCB8CE-9251-4113-B048-4742091C71A2.jpeg
2D52FDAB-4C99-4C6E-98B8-BFDA6BE388C6.jpeg
6F605368-2F26-4E45-BA24-594587F3AC15.jpeg
5CA2023F-377C-408C-AB72-404563A04613.jpeg
84186CBC-F012-4F25-882D-11BA338A6F32.jpeg
hope you enjoy some of the pics

·
Premium Member
27,082 Posts
That was one of the greatest things about the full sized vans. Plenty of room for livestock, passengers and luggage. We used to haul ducks to swap meets and the butcher in the van. It took a lot of restraint for me to keep from loading a pretty little Shetland pony in it at one swap meet. I wanted that pony.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Their probably gonna be noisy, but the dog kennel will be your best bet.

One time I was at the sale barn and there was a guy headed to a goat slaughterhouse 4 hours away that loaded 25 head into the back of a full size van. He had a panel behind the drivers seat. I can only imagine the sound and smell coming from that thing.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Here’s some of the calves we threw in the bed of our truck in a really big crate when we didn’t have a trailer don’t have any pics of them in bed but here’s those calves who got loaded in the bed of the truck View attachment 95395 View attachment 95396 View attachment 95397 View attachment 95398 View attachment 95399 hope you enjoy some of the pics
I do! :love::love: Thanks for posting them! The farm down the road has cows and if they are up by the fence I’ll stop to talk and pet them. I’m sure their owner thinks I’m a freak, lol. I’ve loved cows since I was a little girl.

·
Registered
3,796 Posts
We have to make the almost 2-hour road trip to pick up the three Pygmy kids and are taking my Jeep Wrangler 4 door.

For those of you who don’t have a livestock trailer, how do you transport your goats? Do you use bedding/straw on a tarp? Old towels/blankets? Do you use a dog crate? Will the kids go to the bathroom a lot during the 2-hour ride? Any suggestions on what to bring to make the trip easier?

I do have a waterproof pad as well as another thick microfiber pad on top of that in the back of the Jeep, as we frequently take our 3 huskies out for rides.

I‘m curious to see how others transport their goats without a trailer! 😁🐐OIIIIIIIO
Three Pygmy goats will easily fit in a large dog carrier.

·
Be powerful. No other option exists.
41,670 Posts
LOL. Actually that isn’t my goat. But I have ridden with a goat kid in my lap. :love:

·
Registered
129 Posts
We do have a stock trailer, but if I can avoid having to hook it up and tow it, then I will. I use a dog crate when they’re kids. And we also have a goat pen that sits in the bed of the pickup that I can use for all sizes. Although, when I bought my new Nubian buck last summer, he was too tall for it. I thought he’d lay down and get comfy in the hay I’d put in there, but he stayed on his back feet and front knees for the entire hour drive home. I’ve had people come buy kids and just put them in their back seat, or have them on a passenger’s lap. There’s no way I’d do that to my car.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts