Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello~
Is there someone who transports goats or a business or something that you would recommend?
I am looking into having goats transported but have never worked with anything like that.
I would appreciate any advice.
Thanks!

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
I've always just stuck them in the backseat of my pick up. Of course, I do put something down first-like a tarp. Last time I transported them w/out putting something down, one of them peed in my truck.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, we normally transport our own goats, too but the goats that we want are rather a ways away so we are wondering if anyone knows of anybody who transports goats. We are in Idaho and would be looking to transport either from Oregon or Couer d'Alane to the Boise area or somewhere close.

·
Super Moderator
12,837 Posts
I think there is a transport group on Facebook or something. I'd be sure to talk to them thoroughly about what other animals they'd be exposed to on the trip for biosecurity reasons.

·
sheep & antenna farming
2,845 Posts
Ron Keener travels all over the country and mainly transports goats and sheep. See his Yahoo group at https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/TravelWithRonK/info

I don't know Ron personally but his sister Mary is a family friend. They grew up southwest of Dubuque IA but Ron lives in the Austin TX area now.

Prices are not cheap but multiple animals have quite a price break.

Peg

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
We do not have personal experience with Ron Keener...but we see his ads on Nubian Talk all the time and have never seen any negative comments regarding his service.

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
Ron Keener has been in the business for years. I talked to him a long time ago but the deal fell through and didn't need transport. Whoever you choose get several references in different states and check insurance on them. I was recommended someone who turned out to have quite a bad reputation- for theft of animals. It won't be cheap but price itself is no indication of quality so checking several references is really required.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Togg75 would you be able to transport for us? Maybe you don't even live in Idaho though.:D
Tango -that would be one of my greates fears-theft.
Especially when some good goats can be involved.

·
Wood Nymph / Toxophilite
1,615 Posts
Would your seller meet you half way? C'dA to Boise isn't all that far.

If you did have a third party haul them you could always do up a contract. I'm sure there are templates on the internet.

You could mail the seller two signed copies. After the transporter signs both copies, the transporter carries one and the seller sends one (mail, fax, email) back to you.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Togg75 would you be able to transport for us? Maybe you don't even live in Idaho though.:D

Tango -that would be one of my greates fears-theft.

Especially when some good goats can be involved.

Sure I can. You got the money I got the time. Make sure your health certain are in order. I would enjoy coming out there and doing some transport for the summer and bringing home a few choice herd additions.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts