Transport for steers in Oregon???Help!

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by bergere, Mar 3, 2005.

1. bergere

bergere Just living Life

OK, help please... Does anyone know a company (S) that are honest, that would be willing to transport 3 Dexter weanling steers from Antelope Or to Rainier, OR??
    My deal with the breeder might fall through because I can't get transport, and rather not loose my deposit. Sigh ~ ~

2. wr

wr Moderator Staff Member Supporter

bergere, I'd get in touch with cattle haulers and see if someone is looking for a backhaul. Quite often they'll go one way full but be coming back empty and they'll haul for you quite cheap. I got 6 head hauled from Colorado to Alberta for $200 that way. I don't feel your deal should fall apart, you could offer a bit in the way of board till you find transport and that should satisfy him if you need a bit more time to get your ducks in a row.

3. bergere

bergere Just living Life

Oh WR, I thought I had all my ducks in a row, but they all ran away. :rolleyes:

Have contacted a few haulers, but no one going the direction I need.
    I do not know where else to look for Cattle haulers?

4. milkstoolcowboy

milkstoolcowboy Farmer

Why don't you go to a local sale barn on sale day? Should be quite a few guys there who either haul or have trailers and might want a job. Another place to go is the local feed mill or farm coop. Ask if they know anyone who hauls livestock. These guys might want to get paid a seemingly high fee per loaded mile or charge you a fee per empty mile as well.

I have my own trailer, but I've been at the sale barn without the trailer and bought steers and easily found guys to haul them.

Do you have a pickup? You could get a stock rack and haul them yourself. How much do the steers weigh now? How long is the haul one way?

I'm not trying to be a smart-*ss, but unless you're going to be butchering them yourself, you're going to need to arrange for hauling them again to the processor or a sale barn. How are you going to arrange that?

When you went to look at these steers, I'm just curious as to how many beef cattle you drove by on the way. Since you're buying steers, these aren't going to be stock cows for building a herd, so you -- in the future -- need to ask yourself whether it's worth the extra hassle and money chasing after these exotics. This is just like the other post wanting to buy belted Galloways several states away for either freezer beef or 4H steers. At $2.00 a loaded mile, those are going to be some of the highest priced steaks that feller will ever eat. IMHO, you have to have a pretty refined palate to say: "Mmmmm .. that Dexter or Beltie steak is so much tastier than a Hereford, Angus or cross." Keep in mind that the guy eating the Angus or cross-bred steer could be eating by the light of a small bundle of paper money and still end up being ahead financially. Again, not trying to be a wiseacre, but that's the way most all of us learn -- by getting singed in a deal

5. Carol K

Carol K Well-Known Member

Try some of the Horse people out that way. For that matter go rent a U Haul box van and put them in there with some straw down, that should be cheap to do it that way, clean it out when you are done, Should only be a days rental,

Carol K

6. milkstoolcowboy

milkstoolcowboy Farmer

Do you have a pickup to pull a horse trailer? Some coops and trailer sales places will rent horse trailers.

7. bergere

bergere Just living Life

Had to sell the pickup last year, and never had a horse trailer.

These folks are willing to halter train the steers... that's were I run into a problem. Ya, I know. But having dealt with my father's cattle, and being the way I am now,, I like them halter trained.

A good cattle yard is no closer to where I am at, than were these steers are. There are cattle all over the place around here, but I ask about halter trained weanlings,, and I get that glazed over look, and they say, now what'a ya want something like that fur??

The Uhaul here doesn't have a horse trailer for rent,, if fact have not been able to find someone that will rent one. Then have to rent a truck.,,, by that time... the cost is way up.

Was just hoping to find someone going that way, that had enough room for 3 little dexter weanling steers,, and we could split costs.
    Looks like I am not going to find that.

8. bergere

bergere Just living Life

The haul is 4 hours one way,,abouts.
    These steers,, are most likely going to be pasture mowers. We need a Tractor badly, but not going to have the money to buy one anytime soon. We are having a draught here, and that grass needs to be eaten down.
    No, I do not want rent the pasture out for many reasons, so not an option there.
    Though Weanlings are not the preferred way to start oxen, it is a good chance that is what they will be trained for.
    So unless they P*** me off, which I doubt, as the seller knows exactly what I want, they will be for pasture mowing for at least a couple of years, and working oxen.

My Dad Raises Angus, has for going on 40 years.

9. herefordman

herefordman Well-Known Member

Any dairy farms near you ?
    Never seen a dairy farm without a stock hauler, they could probably help you out for cash.
    I would just start driving around and asking at local farms, shouldn't be that big a deal, can't the guy selling them help you out there ?
    good luck

10. beeman97

beeman97 Well-Known Member

Bergere,
    I think you may have missed the point of the post about the u-haul ,, i think wht was meant was ,, rent the smallest actual moving truck they offer, not a trailer,
    this would give you the space as well as the engine to haul your little guys home.
    A one day local rental is not that expensive at all & should solve your hualing problems at least for this go around.

11. bergere

bergere Just living Life

You know, I have not seen a single Dairy Farm around here. Will ask around and see if anyone knows of one.

I did ask the folks that would be selling me the steers, and what they need to charge is way too much right now.
    Ah well.