Transplanting Persimmon Trees

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Randy Dandy, May 6, 2005.

1. Randy Dandy

Randy Dandy Well-Known Member

I have several persimmons as you can see :haha: http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y32/Pineyriverbuck/Picture.jpg
    My question is, it alright to go ahead and transplant them at this time of year ?
    I hate to try and support them in pots until it is time.
    If now is not a good time to transplant then I was wondering if I could separate the best 20 plants that I want to keep and spread them evenly throughout the few pots that I have until its time to transplant :confused:

2. Manny

Manny Well-Known Member

If these are the seeds that you were stratifying in the refrigerator then I say well done! You can handle these seedlings just as you would any vegetable seedlings. Take that one container with the large amount of seedlings in, they are way too crowded to remain in that container, and when they develop their first set of true leaves harden them off and transplant them where ever you want. Since Summer is coming I would try to provide them with a little shade for a while and make sure they are watered. With the pots that have only a couple of seedlings in I would keep these in their containers and use them to replace any of your first transplants that fail. Persimmons seem to be a pretty hardy bunch. Once again may I say----Well Done!!.

3. Randy Dandy

Thanks again for your help Manny. Actually these are all the ones that I cut from the tree last fall and left in the fruit with a little of the stem attached. As soon as I noticed a couple of them coming up I dug down and retrieved a few seeds and separated them in the other pots evenly but ran out of pots.
    What do you mean by: "set of true leaves" and "harden them off" ?
    Thanks Randy

4. Manny

Manny Well-Known Member

The first leaves that you see are the fleshy part of the seed. The first true leaves will be the ones coming out of the central growing point and will look like the leaves you see on a mature tree. Hardening off is the process of gradually exposing the seedlings to sunlight, wind and all the other elements of living out of doors. If you already have these containers outside in the full sunlight then they are already hardened off and are ready for transplant as soon as the real leaves appear. The first seed leaves have nutrients stored in them but the true leaves are the ones that will manufacture food for the plant. What was the result of the seeds that you were stratifying?

5. Randy Dandy

Thank you for explaining that for me. Some of them are growing true leaves. I can tell because they are growing as you described and the true leaves look to have a different design pattern.
    None of the seed from the fridge or the ones that I ordered in a small packet has came up yet.
    Thank you again very much :)