Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just one opportunity to transplant some lily of the valley- which is tomorrow (monday) afternoon. The main plant is from over 70 years ago and has expanded to a 20x8 feet space. circumstances do not permit me to wait for another day. What would be the safest way to remove a small amount without damage to the plants and then safely transplant onto our property.
We are zone 5 (n.e ohio).
Thank you ahead for all help.

·
Master Of My Domain
7,220 Posts
i have it. it doesn't compete or get invassive for me...but it does survive well. i have it in a sunny area next to spearmint, horseradish and peonies, and i have it in a shaded area where is survives in various weeds, hydrangas and ivy. it doesn't spread much for me, but it survives.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you so much. My husbands Nan passed away (would have been 90 in September) and the estate is being sold off. This Lily of the Valley was given by her mother to plant in her garden when she married 70 years ago. It is rootstock from her mothers garden who's own mother gave her a first plant when she married. She has always been very proud of it and would tell little stories about her mother each time we were out in her garden by the lily of Valley. I wanted to make sure I got a decent amount to transplant for a spot on our next property, with a seating bench, as a memorial to his Nan. Plus,in the future, my daughters can have some of this root stock to plant in their gardens when they marry or purchase their first home. and so on down the line.
I tell you this more out of sentimental then necessity.
Thank you so much for the quick replies. I feel confident going in with shears and shovel at hand. You have saved me a lot of waiting with heartache to see if it would make it.
Have a great day,
~T

1 - 6 of 6 Posts