Transplanting Honeysuckle

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by nicholascovey, Jun 1, 2005.

1. nicholascovey

nicholascovey Well-Known Member

I've been trying to transplant starts from some Honeysuckle bushes to cover our ugly suburban chain link fences. Seems like I always stress the plants too much or something. Had one really taking off and looking good back in May, but it frosted and died. Am I just trying at the wrong time of year? I haven't had any problems with other types of plants that I've transplanted. Does anyone have any experiences with this?

2. stumpyacres

stumpyacres Well-Known Member

I did this - my neighbor thought I was nuts cause it is invasive. Mine had snow, frost, etc. I think something else must be wrong. I just popped mine into the ground. Maybe you could try to pull up roots - rather than try to propogate it. Or put it in a bucket with rootone. Mine has really grown!

3. nicholascovey

Well, the second time, I did take a chunk of the root ball, did what I'd normally do when transplanting a tree and it wilted and doesn't look like it's going to make it. I've watered, well prepared the site, etc.

4. poppy

poppy Guest

LOL, i figured it was impossible to kill the stuff. It takes over everything here, including entire woods. We's be buried in the stuff if I didn't turn the goats in on it. I'd try the root planting again. From what I see, it isn't that particular about soil type.

5. galfriend

galfriend Well-Known Member

Howdy nicholascovey...if you fail just let me know. I will more than gladly give you a start from mine!!! Trying to get rid of my yellow honeysuckle! Very invasive stuff! Just keep your starters moist for awhile should do the trick...if ya lose yours, just PM me and let me know I can sure start ya up again!

6. Windy in Kansas

Windy in Kansas In Remembrance

I'm in south central Kansas. For the first time, this last week I saw wild honeysuckle growing. I plan on making the drive back to where I saw it to get a start. I love the smell of honeysuckle.

I guess that we in SC Kansas are lucky that we don't have the correct climate for many plants that sometimes become invasive, but it also limits what will grow without great care.

7. nicholascovey

I think the climate might be my problem, as it doesn't seem to take over here like I've heard it does. I'm around the KC area and it has been plenty dry - at least until last Thursday:D

Thanks for the offer galfriend, I'll have to see what it does and then let you know. It looks mostly dead now, but there are still a few green leaves near the ground, so it may come back after all the rain this weekend.