transplanting grape vine

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by poppy, Apr 18, 2004.

1. poppy

poppy Guest

My parents had an old grapevine where they lived before they passed away. The folks living there now are going to take it out. This vine is over 30 years old, but had great grapes. What are the chances it would live if I cut it way back, dug it up, and transplanted it here at home? I don't know how forgiving grape vines are at that age.

2. kathy H

kathy H kathyh

You can try, what have you got to lose? When you cut it back put the sticks in moist sand and they might sprout to.

3. Queen Bee

Queen Bee Well-Known Member Supporter

I don't know about transplanting old vines either but it's worth a try! I would cut it back except about ten arms. I would dig up the vine and replant it. Dig 10 long ditches about 6"-10" deep.Take the ten 'arms' and lay them in the ditches making them come up to the surface every two or three feet. bury the the rest and wait about two years and you should have new vines where ever they are at the surface. It's the easiest way that I got a old Muscadine to root. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

4. poppy

poppy Guest

Thanks for the advice. I dug it up and took off one knucle of the root with a lot of small feeder roots and planted it separate from the main trunk. I tried the trench method with the main trunk and roots. I also took some cuttings and put them in moist sand. I'll let you know what happens.Thanks again.