Transplanting fruit trees

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by suelandress, Aug 24, 2005.

1. suelandress

suelandress Windy Island Acres Supporter

I have 2 peach trees about 7 years old, 8 feet tall that I need to move. How concerned do I need to be to get ALL the roots when I dig them up?

2. Mid Tn Mama

Mid Tn Mama Well-Known Member Supporter

I hope someone knows because I also want to move two apple and two peach trees I planted this spring to another location.

3. quailkeeper

quailkeeper Well-Known Member

Yes me too. I've been waiting for someone to reply to this post. I am moving this fall and taking all my fruit trees (about 15 4 year old trees). Wondering how to do it?

4. Chris in PA

Chris in PA Well-Known Member

Transplanting tree this tall can be a huge task. And yes, you need all the roots you can get.

I would suggest getting alot of help for moving the root ball will be hard - it will be heavy. And you must keep as much of the dirt with the roots. You cannot dig out the tree and take the dirt away to make it lighters.

I have only done this once. It was a maple tree. The roots were huge. And after we put it in the ground we let water trinkle from the hose over the roots for a solid two weeks. I swore I would never do it again.

I have heard of a way to make it a bit easier. But, I am not sure if it would work this year. Basically you take a shovel and make a circle around the tree. Don't make it too small. You put the shovel in a trim the roots to the tree. You don't dig a hole. You just put the shovel in and jump on it and then take the shovel out and move around the entire tree.

Wait a couple of weeks or months and then dig the tree out. That way the roots have been trimmed and started new smaller roots, much like when you trim flowers or tree branches.

Then you use the same circle to dig to roots out. You should have a slightly smaller root ball to deal with. The tree with have more of the necessary small roots to bring up moisture.

Now, I have never done this. I have read about it. It would be better if you could find an article on the internet about it before trying it. I cannot remember the time requirement. That is part that will tell you if you can do it this time of year. Or if you have to trim now and transplant in the spring.

Remember, these are well established trees so you do run a risk of losing the tree no matter which method you use.