transplanting and seed question

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Christina R., Mar 25, 2006.

1. Christina R.

Christina R. Well-Known Member

I have strawberries and mint that I'll be transplanting. Is there a better time to considering transplanting them? We are at 7000', with a microclimate zone of 3-4. We will have killing frosts until the beginning of June.

I also have a stray package of corn seeds from last year. I was planning on using them to fill in the end of a row if I run short. Is it pretty much a lost deal to use seeds from the year before?

Thanks for your input.

2. Marcia in MT

Marcia in MT Well-Known Member Supporter

The strawberries and mint will do well when transplanted after the soil thaws (and is in a condition to be workable!) but before they actually break dormancy and start growing. They may not even notice they've been moved.

As long as you've kept your seeds cool and dry, they should be viable. If you want to perform a germination test, put 10 seeds into a dampened paper towel, put that into a plastic bag, and put in a warm spot (light not necessary, so somewhere like on top of the refrigerator is good). Keep checking every couple of days to see how many have sprouted. That will enable you to work out the germination percentage of the whole packet.

I regularly germinate seeds 10 years old, and I just found some that are almost 20 years old and still have enough oomph to make it worth planting them!

3. sue currin

sue currin Well-Known Member

Once you transplant the mint and strawberries you can cover them with pine straw, it will keep a late frost from getting them and both plants love the acided soil that the pine straw gives as it rots, helps on weed controll too.