Transplant Tomatoes

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Randy Dandy, Apr 21, 2005.

1. Randy Dandy

Randy Dandy Well-Known Member

Could someone tell us when we should or if we should transplant to the small pot in the picture ? Or should we just wait and plant straight outside when the time is right ? The manufacturer of the small brown pot claims the roots will grow through the pot while it decomposes. Any suggestions ?
    P.S. The one picture with the tape measurer is the tallest plant out of all of them.
    http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y32/Pineyriverbuck/Picture013.jpg
    http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y32/Pineyriverbuck/Picture012.jpg
    http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y32/Pineyriverbuck/Picture011.jpg
    http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y32/Pineyriverbuck/Picture010.jpg

2. Phantomfyre

Phantomfyre Black Cat Farm Supporter

In TN, you must be getting near your frost free-date - another couple of weeks, maybe? That pot looks like it'll do what they claim it will, but I'd say that the bigger issue right now is that those seedlings look like they're not getting enough light - they're kind of tall and leggy. At that height, they should have several sets of leaves already - they're growing up reaching for light and not really growing out like you want them to. I'd start putting them outside to slow them down and harden them off. Put them in a shady area to begin with so they don't sunburn. Be sure to protect them from the wind the first few days, too. If your nights aren't too cold, leave them out overnight. You'll want to toughen them up before planting outside. When you do re-plant them, plant them deep - cover up all that extra stem with soil, right up to the first set of leaves. All those little hairs on the stem will form roots. Not all plants do this, but tomatoes do, and they will be bigger and healthier for it. :)

Hope this helps,
    Diana

3. Paquebot

Paquebot Well-Known Member

They really don't look too leggy yet but I'd make certain that they had plenty of light. Maybe just a bit more than they are getting. You've got them looking good to this point, don't lose them!

They are a bit behind for your area. Were this 1 April instead of 21 April, I'd advise potting into 3" or 4" individual pots. That would give them a month of growing in the pots. But since you are probably only a week or two away from planting time, I'd leave them in that starter. In another week, you should have true leaves on all of those. Any time after that, they can go out into the garden complete with the peat things. I have set out plants having only the two cotyledon leaves before but they need protection from every bug and bird around! Regardless, those should be ready to go out in 2 weeks.

By the way, nice variety selection! ;)

Martin

4. LaDonna

LaDonna Well-Known Member

You should never transplant anything until it get's it second set of leaves. I agree you need to increse the light they are getting. Put then out on the porch during the day, just morning sun at first. Increase sunlight gradually to "harden" them off.

5. marvella

marvella Well-Known Member

yes, be careful about putting stuff out the next several days. dogwood winter is on it's way this weekend.

6. Randy Dandy

Thank you all very much. We will increase the light for sure. I guess the question now is should we go ahead and transplant them into the pots since they are starting to sprout the other leaves ? And since it will be awhile before the last threat of frost. We really thank you all for helping us with making decisions on this subject.
    Thanks, Randy

7. Paquebot

Paquebot Well-Known Member

Randy, I'd still leave them where they are after they get their first pair of true leaves. Consider how tomato plants are often sold, 4-packs or 6-packs. They are growing in cells which are often smaller than 2x2 inches and quite happy. For years, I used styrofoam starters similar to what you are using. That's where the seedlings remained until time to plant them out. Every time a tomato plant is transplanted, there is a delay before they begin growing again. It's transplant root shock. Those with larger root systems often suffer the longest delay. Your plants looked OK when you took the pictures. They appeared to be only a week or so behind mine. I do not plan to disturb mine until it is time to move them to the garden.

Martin

8. Randy Dandy

Thank you very much for the advice Paquebot. I will follow your advice.
    Thank you and all the others as well. I will let you know how they are doing when we transplant them.
    Thanks, Randy