Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife has a 2002 Chrysler town and country van. Last weekend I discovered a oil drip at the front left side of the car. I got a closer look and discovered that the plastic line from the transmission to the cooler had been damaged.
In the past on older cars and trucks a damaged steel line could be cut and repaired with hose and clamps. Can I do the same with this line? The local auto parts store couldn't give me any information.
Has any one here repaired a line?

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. But that was not the answer I was seeking. The link was interesting. I saved it. However, it did not list the part. I would like to do a repair rather then spend the time in a salvage yard. If need be I will order a new part from a dealer.

·
Registered
6,977 Posts
You can probably repair the line somehow. I really can't remember what the line looks like. The obvious correct fix is a new line from the dealer which is what I would do if I was working on your van. The price of the line is minuscule compared to the price of a repair on a trans. Just be sure to use the correct fluid.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Is the line itself damaged or the quick disconnect that is leaking? You could cut the plastic line and put a rubber TRANSMISSION line over it and double clamp each end. Make sure the double clamping is 180 degrees from each other to tighten correctly. Transmission fluid has properties that sofen rubber unless it is made for tranny fluid. This repair is NOT suggested, but will buy time until proper repair is made.

rich

1 - 5 of 5 Posts