Translucent concrete blocks

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Soni, Jul 16, 2004.

1. Soni

Soni Well-Known Member

2. Linda Camello

Linda Camello Well-Known Member

Really cool idea!! Let the Sun Shine in!! Yes!! I like it!!

3. bearkiller

bearkiller Well-Known Member

Sounds like reinventing the wheel to me. Such products already exist in the form of glass blocks. Go see the examples at www.sierraglassblock.com

Almost any variety of pattern, solid or hollow block, clear glass or colored. Can be used for windows, shower stalls, railings, wall sections, limited almost only by your imagination.

Plus they are cheap, though more expensive than hollow block from Home Depot.

bearkiller

4. AngieM2

AngieM2 Big Front Porch advocate

Doesn't look like the same to me.

If I read the artical correctly, these walls could be meters thick and still let in light. So he's parrallel imbedded fiber optics in the concrete.

if this is so, then it would seem that a light source behind them could light a room on the other side, All kinds of neat new things could happen.

Hmmmm.
    Hope the guy has his patent secure.

AngieM2

5. pointer_hunter

pointer_hunter Well-Known Member

I just hope he makes his bathroom walls out of wood! :haha:

6. Soni

Soni Well-Known Member

If I recall correctly, standard glass block is not usually load bearing. Or at least that was always the impression I was given - that you needed other support members to hold the main weight. This stuff is as strong as regular concrete block, as the glass fibers do not weaken the mix.

7. j.r. guerra in s. tx.

j.r. guerra in s. tx. Well-Known Member

Pointer_hunter, don't laugh too hard - check out this image for a public toilet with one way glass walls. Maybe its meant to 'speed up' things?

http://www.markshouse.net/images/toilet.jpg

This is cool, Soni - I work for an architect, and I've never heard of this product. We're doing a design for a theatre really soon for a college - this could come in handy. Thanks for posting this.

8. Jan Doling

Jan Doling Well-Known Member

When we were building, I wanted a row of glass block as a backsplash above the counter with the kitchen sink, which is an outside wall under the back porck. It would have made a wonderful night-light on the porch and let in lots of natural light during the day. The blocks existing at that type were not load-bearing and it would have cost a lot more to pour an additional lintel, so we used the ordinary concrete blocks. Maybe with this new invention someone somewhere can have my backsplash now.

9. Yeah, that's cool. I'm ready to build and would like to have them now.

10. kabri

kabri Almst livin the good life

The one thing I did not see on the web site was the thermal capacity of the blocks. This would be very cool for interior walls in a passive solar house for thermal mass.... any conjecture on that?