Transformer/inverter question

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by mistletoad, May 15, 2004.

1. mistletoad

mistletoad Well-Known Member Supporter

I have a 220/240 volt, 50mhz sewing machine that I wish to use with a 110v, 60mhz power supply. Obviously I need a step-up transformer, but that doesn't solve the frequency problem, so in plain english I need to know what to order or what to say to the pimply Radio Shack employee who always tries to tell me I don't need to do anything other than change the plug!
    I am open to all suggestions - transformers, inverters, battery packs, solar, hamster power (I have the hamsters) - it just has to cost less than buying a new sewing machine or be useful for more than one application.

2. heelpin

heelpin Well-Known Member

3. 12vman

12vman Offgridkindaguy

Depending on the make and model of the unit, it might be frugal to have the motor replaced. The rad-shack guy is kinda correct but i don't believe you have 220v in your sewing room... :cool:

4. Stillponds

Stillponds Active Member

If it is a belt drive motor you will, most likely, be money ahead to replace the motor. A step up transformer will have to be correctly sized, fused, mounted and wired to the 50hz motor that may or may not perform correctly. If you live near a large metro area look in the phone book for a used electric motor/rebuild shop. Take them your 50hz motor and they should be able to match you to a 60hz compatible motor for less than buying a transformer and having it installed.

5. mistletoad

mistletoad Well-Known Member Supporter

Thanks for your replies. Some years ago I tried to get the motor replaced, but I guess I went to the wrong place - tried a sewing machine repair shop and they couldn't/wouldn't do it for any price. I am close to Washington DC so finding a place that repairs electric motors shouldn't be that difficult.

6. Gary in ohio

Gary in ohio Well-Known Member Supporter

First off its 220v 50hz (not mega hertz, mhz). and you need to convert to 120v 60hz. A transformer will convert the voltage, I doubt the freq is going to matter much in this application. You can get a transformer to step up your house current but I think you will find thats not a cheap device. if the motor is accessable it might be possible to replace it or have it rewired for 110v. Again cost may be an issue. If the machine has sentimental value or some features you need/want then it might be worth the cost.

As for the radio shack guy, Keep in mind there slogan, "You got questions, We got batteries"