transfering money tween banks

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by pcdreams, Sep 21, 2004.

1. pcdreams

pcdreams Well-Known Member

if you want to transfer money from one bank to another via writing a check, how would you go about it? or is that possible?

2. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

Not sure what you want to do? If you are moving money from one acct that you own to another acct in a diff bank , just write a check on the one bank and deposit in the other. If you want to do it quicker, usually call the bank you plan on transfering the funds to and ask them what you need to do. They will often times let you talk to the other bank and make arrangements on the phone if your name is on both accts.

3. CraftyDiva

CraftyDiva Is anybody here?

Do it all the time, just write yourself a check and make a deposit.

EDited........... meaning write a check made out to you from you, or you could write it to cash as well.

4. pcdreams

so I could write a check to myself and deposit that in bank 2? Sorry to be so confusing. If The bank I needed to move money from wasn't far away I'd just go get it :)
    they want to charge $$ to do a transfer. Which is why I was trying to figure a way around it.

5. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

Yes, just write yourself a check. If they do a fund transfer it is more work for them.

6. pcdreams

excellent. Thanks guys :)

7. CraftyDiva

CraftyDiva Is anybody here?

Correct, just write a check to yourself from bank #1 and deposit it to bank #2. I do this all the time, I have a money market account with direct deposit and transfer to my regular checking account via check. Both accounts are free, money transfer would cost.

8. coalroadcabin

coalroadcabin Well-Known Member

If you want immediate credit for the transfer, be sure to ask the bank that you are depositing to what, if any, type of hold they will put on the funds. If it's a small town bank and the folks there know you real well (ie. you're a long time customer in good standing) then there probably won't be a hold on the funds. Otherwise, there may be a wait for the check to clear before the funds are available.

9. HermitJohn

HermitJohn Well-Known Member

I havent done this for a while, but last time I did, the bank I was transferring money to wanted me to make the check out directly to them rather than to myself. Just call and ask before you do it.