Tranny in 2002 Chevy K1500

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Irish Pixie, Nov 7, 2005.

1. Irish Pixie

Irish Pixie Well-Known Member

I'm ready to bite the bullet and get a new truck. However, just having had to replace the tranny in our 2000 Olds Bravada, and hearing horror stories about how bad the trannys are on Chevy products, we want to make sure it's not the same tranny on the 2000 Bravada, Blazer, etc. that is in the 2002 Chevy K1500 Silverado V6. I really want another Chevy- I'm impressed with how well the 1990 K2500 extend cab long box held up. The engine is perfect but the body is not so good.

Does anyone know, or can direct me to a website? Thanks for your help.

Stacy

2. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

3. cfabe

cfabe Well-Known Member

Well first off, I don't think you can get a K-truck (4x4) with the v6, the v6 is only available on the standard cab 2wd trucks.

The transmission used in the light duty pickups is of the same family as the s-trucks (your bravada) but a stronger version. I haven't heard that they have any known reliability problems, in fact, GM automatics usually have a pretty good reputation compared to ford or dcx. Of course, with any automatic, expect a complete rebuild every 100k miles, and change the fluid and filter every 30k miles.

Is a manual transmission an option?

4. Irish Pixie

Irish Pixie Well-Known Member

It's definitely a 6 cylinder, regular cab, long box, 4X4, cfabe.

There is a definite problem with the Bravada, Blazer trannys. Our 2000 Bravada, my DD's FIL's either 1999 or 2000 Blazer, and my DH's niece's 2000 Bravada all had to have complete tranny replacement at under 100K.

Thanks for the link, Cabin, I'll check it out. We just don't want another tranny problem...'tis an expensive repair. I've never had this small a truck, we've always had K2500's for hauling horse trailers, but we just aren't hauling enough now to justify the bigger truck.

Stacy