Tramission Fluid for a Lawn tractor?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Mike in Pa, Apr 7, 2006.

1. Mike in Pa

Mike in Pa Well-Known Member

I have a 2000 Series Cub Cadet(hydrostatic). Can I buy a cheaper tranny fluid? The prices Cub charge are OUTRAGEOUS. Their customer service is non-existant too.

Thanks,
    Mike

2. caberjim

caberjim Stableboy III

We had a line blowout on our Cub last year. We used a generic brand of hydrostatic tran fluid. Works fine.

3. Mike in Pa

I heard HY-Tran made by Case is the exact same thing(from multiple sources) ... just can't find it either. I'd rather not take chances on just any old generic.

4. Beeman

Beeman Well-Known Member

In my area Cub is the best supported brand of choice. I bought Cub fluid for my Murray and it wasn't that expensive. How much does a new hydrostat cost?

5. Mike in Pa

You call 8 dollars a quart not expensive???!!!??? If you get what I need that's what you paid. If you have an older model you can get away with 3.25/qt stuff. The "drive System Fluid Plus" that they spec now isn't that cheap. It's NOT the Hy-Tran I spoke of erroneously.

6. Beeman

Beeman Well-Known Member

You've got a lawnmower that cost how much new $2,000 to $3,000 ? I'm sure repairs or replacement of the rearend would start at $500 and go up from there. No, $8 per qt. is not a lot of money to protect an expensive piece of machinery.

7. Mike in Pa

Well you have to keep it in comparison ... no other tranny fluid that I've found is that much. They rip you off ... simple as that. Oil filter is 10.00 ... most auto filters are 2.50 - 4.00.

BTW ... Lowe's price for the same stuff is 9.00/qt .. insane!

Cub's customer service is literally non-existant too. They make you deal with the dealer. I like to talk to the manufacturer a lot of the time ... it's not possible with them. Never again.

20 for a tranny filter, 54.00 for fluid (Lowes) ... I can take my truck to a garage and have the fluid and filter changed for less than that!

8. Countrybumpkin

Countrybumpkin Well-Known Member

...about your oil filter...I've got a 20 horse Kohler on my garden tractor, and those little filters are a bunch also...took one to the auto parts store, and matched it up w/ an auto filter-more oil capacity, and a whole lot cheaper! I buy Fram, so I do buy a good filter, but look at your local auto parts store-you might find a cheaper filter!

9. Mike in Pa

Thanks bud ... just replaced the darn thing though! Will remember for next time! Mine is a Kohler too.