training wether to pull & cart

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Liese, Jan 17, 2007.

1. Liese

Liese Namaste

Hi, Was wondering if anyone on this list has trained wethers to cart. There isn't much on-line, although there are a couple of sites for harnesses & making harnesses. The nearby Oberhasli goat dairy will be kidding soon so I am looking to buy 1 or 2 to try. I am hoping to train to work both in the woods and in the garden. Also I would like any thoughts or pointers about keeping these eventually full size wethers in with my ND bucks; everyone will be disbudded. Thanks in advance. Liese, Piedmont region, NC

2. moosemaniac

moosemaniac Well-Known Member

There's a yahoo group. http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/HarnessGoats/

The lady who moderates it wrote a short book on the subject and I'm sure you can buy a copy from her.

There are some booklets out there too. I have a couple of them.

I've got one in training and another I'm going to start this summer.

Ruth

3. motdaugrnds

motdaugrnds II Corinthians 5:7 Supporter

Ruth, thanks for the link. I too am training a goat to the harness so as to have him pull my bailed hay from the pasture up to the barn. I am not using a wether, however; but a buck who has been trained as a caregiver. (He lets me lean on him as I go back up hill after working in the pasture.) I have the harness and reigns already and will check out that link for extra pointers.

4. moosemaniac

A buck as a caregiver! I love it...except during rut maybe, LOL. My Bogart pulls the cart beautifully, we've been in some parades. He's still learning the driving part though. He still has to have a "head" person leading him, but we're getting there. What's fun is Jake who is not related to Bogart is a dead ringer for him. I can't wait to have a matched pair.

Ruth

5. pookshollow

pookshollow Pook's Hollow

I have a Nigie buck who lives with my Saanen buckling and my three wethers (all four are about 7-8 months) The Nigie has horns, the Saanen has scurs, everyone else was disbudded. I've had no real aggression between any of them, even though the bucks have been in rut. A certain amount of other behaviours, mind you :rolleyes:

I would like to train my wethers to pack and cart as well, so I'll have to bookmark those sites!

6. kerrinatoz

kerrinatoz Well-Known Member

Thank you so much for that link! I really want to keep a couple of our first wethers and train them. I've been reading for quite a while about this. I have this vision of my two beautiful (goat) Nigie sons driving a red wagon with banners and all in the local parade with my kids driving. (ok, I know I'll be leading at their heads) but I just think it would be the cutest thing. I think this has been in my mind's eye since befroe we bought out does!

Kerrin

7. Liese

Liese Namaste

Thanks Ruth for that link, I had joined another Yahoo group Cart_Goat (or something close) but it is very quiet.

And thanks PH for the info about keeping full size & dwarfs together; boys will be boys.

Liese

8. Mountaineer

Mountaineer Well-Known Member

Under what circumstamces would you have a goat pulling a cart? I'm having trouble picturing it.

9. Tam319

Tam319 Well-Known Member

Hi everyone,

What a cool thread! When I was about 12 years old I had a crossbred whether that was about 150 lb. I trained him to pull a sled and wagon wearing a leather dog harness. He would pull square hay bales or a child. He wasn't trained to drive with reins but would run alongside you if you walked with him. It was such fun! I didn't realize this is a "real" thing that people do!!! How exciting! I am definitely going to look into it. I drive mini horses but they are a little too powerful and frisky for me LOL A goat would be perfect! What breeds excell in this?

Thanks!

10. longshot38

longshot38 Well-Known Member Supporter

i remember when i was a kid, no pun intended, my mom told me about how folks would hitch goats to sleds to haul wood if they could not afford a horse for draught work.

dean

11. Liese

Liese Namaste

Well, for those who are wondering why? I am not a horse person but I raise a few goats and goats aren't too intimidating or eat much. Now we have this huge hickory tree, amoungst others that fell this summer and I have been hauling limbs up to be cut. As I am walking uphill, I am thinking that a goat could haul as much or more and if all I had to do was lead-wouldn't it be grand? To say nothing about cultivating the garden, so much easier to maneuver. I can buy a full size wether for $50 but even a green pony here is $5-600. , to say nothing of the larger feed requirements. I did look at Haflingers but a trained horse has had a lot of time invested and the price naturally reflects that. I was just hoping that others here had "broke the trail" before me and I wouldn't have to reinvent the wheel, after all goat carting must be only a thousand years old! Well, the kids aren't even popping out yet, so lots of time to plan. Liese

P.S. I have figured from what little info on-line there is that a full size wether should be able to cart or pull 250lbs, maybe even a little more, terrain and strength training will be a factor I should expect.

12. Mountaineer

Mountaineer Well-Known Member

Liese- I think that is a great idea. I scratch the crap out of my truck pulling out wood where goats would work. And all those unused bucklings- worth keeping a few around if they are handy!

13. moosemaniac

A lot of county fairs have classes for them. We do parades.

I think it's Hoegger supply that even sells a goat sized plow.

Ruth

14. cmharris6002

cmharris6002 Well-Known Member Supporter

Here is our Nubian wether pulling the kids in a modified bike cart when he was about 8 months old,

[​IMG]

We sold him as a cart wether that spring. Now he pulls an antique pickle wagon at renaissance festivals :)

He was easy to train. We taught him to walk on lead as a baby, he was bottlefed so he wanted to come with us everywhere anyway. Then we put a dog sled harness on him and hooked him to the cart my husband rigged up. We walked him without a load a few times then walked him on lead with a kid in the cart. Soon, I didn't need the lead and he responded to the rope at the tail end of the harness, the kids would pile in and off they'd go. The whole process took 4 or 5 20 min. sessions starting with him walking well on lead.

Christy