Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
www.BilriteFarms.com
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any tips on training a cow to hand milk? She's fairly gentle but not halter broke. 1/2 Jersey, 1/2 Angus. I'd like to try to milk her this year.

Thanks,
Trisha

·
Registered
10,221 Posts
I'll echo the Dairy Queen. get a stanchion or head gate and feed her there twice a day. Once she used to going into the stanchion freely, start handling her. Scratches here and there. Handle her udder also. Don't be too timid else she'll think you're a fly and will swish you with her tail. Let us know how it progresses.

·
www.BilriteFarms.com
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks... she is not a FF and those legs of hers looked kinda beefy compared to her mothers (Jersey) who came to us halter broke and milking broke too I guess. Annabelle is easy to work around and I can walk up to her and scratch her so I think the feeding her in the stanchion will work pretty well... then I just work down to playing with her udder? Before she freshens and has all those horomones that work in our (for milking) favor?

·
Registered
5,944 Posts
It's never too soon to get her used to having you play around with her udder. No milking strokes, just petting the bag and around it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts