Training Pet sheep

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by Siryet, Nov 24, 2003.

1. Siryet

Siryet In Remembrance

We were wondering the proper way to train our new lambs to a halter? We would like them to be human friendly as possible. My wife is starting to sit with them in their pen so they become familier with her.

We don't want to have them fearful of us. They are about two weeks old now, and are a barbadoes / ? mix.

Thank you for your experience and suggestions.

Have a great week.

2. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

I have no reason to halter break but the way to a sheep's heart is through it's stomach. Enough food treats will create a pest..... um ...ah I mean pet for life.

3. Mystic Meadows

Mystic Meadows Member

We first work with our sheep and get them used to us and being handled. Treats, as was mentioned, is a great way to their heart. We use the small rope halters with our sheep. When we begin to train them we slowly get them used to having them on. Then we start to tie them and feed them while they are tied. When they're comfortable being tied, etc. then we begin the leading process using a can of grain or any other treat that they are used to. By that time the whole leading process becomes pretty simple. Hope that helps.

Cheers,
    Jamie
    Mystic Meadows

4. Siryet

Siryet In Remembrance

Thank you for your experience replies. We will follow those and hope for the best.

Thank you again and have a great Holiday.

Dennis and Toni