Training licking dog

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Bunni, Nov 15, 2004.

1. Bunni

Bunni Active Member

We have an Australian Shepard that is constantly licking the children and just kind of being obnoxious. We live on a farm and she gets plenty of exercise so that is not the issue. I have also tried having the children completely ignore her and that does not work. she stops when I say no only to do it again later.

It looks to us as if she is trying to get everyone up so she can herd them. She does not hurt anyone just playful but you know how children are always in the floor.

How can I fix this problem?
    Lynn

2. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

It sounds like she wants more attention, rather than be ignored. Does she play with the kids? Dogs like positive reinforcement and the attention and if they play may do it. Ignore the licking by substituting the activity. Saying 'no' to the licking is temporary and won't fix it, as you say she does it again later.

3. Bluegrass

Bluegrass Active Member

Licking is instinctual to dogs as a way to show deference to the dogs higher in the pack pecking order. Your girl is trying to show you respect.
    If she is trying to herd you, it will be hard. It's difficult to train a dog not to do what they have been bred for generations to do. Do you have something else she could herd?
    I definitely suggest obedience training. My kids are members of the 4-h dog club, and spend a lot of time working with our lab. The previous poster was right that you need to substitiute some other activity.
    Working dogs are a special case because they are not usually satisfied just being a pet. They really need something to do.
    Good luck!

4. Chuck

Chuck Well-Known Member Supporter

Sorry to hear that your dog can't hold his licker. :)

5. Jan Doling

Jan Doling Well-Known Member

Thank you, Chuck, you have no idea how much I needed that this morning! :haha:

6. Bluegrass

Bluegrass Active Member

7. westbrook

westbrook In Remembrance

Spray the kids with Bitter Apple? rub them with ben gay. Well, it works on Kids with 4 legs, keeps the dogs from mouthing them! 4 legs 2 legs..kids are still kids! aren't they?

ROLF at Chuck!!!

8. HarleysMom

HarleysMom Well-Known Member

I have a blue heeler that had been terribly abused before I got him. It took several months to just be able to approach him easily. Anyway, he always acts obsessive-compulsive about his licking. He doesn't lick people much but he will lick a hole in his bedding if I let him. It is like he has to lick to soothe something within him. He doesn't seem to want to herd anything but he does like to chase cars and will run back into the yard, if outside it, to chase a car down the driveway from his side of the fence. He won't chase them outside the fence. But I will hear him licking his bed during the night and have to tell him "no" and after several times he will finally stop. He is free to sleep where he wants and it is usually under my bed where he seems to feel secure. I have had him for 7 of his 9 years and, though he has slowed down his licking some, he still licks fabrics obsessively until I get him to stop. He is a wonderful dog though and fairly normal otherwise. He is part of the family and gets lots of exercise on walks and isn't confined to a yard. I would also like to know if there is a way to train a dog to stop something like that, especially a dog that is sensitive.

9. Deb&Al

Deb&Al Well-Known Member

hi, harley's mom,

we have the same problem with our big dog. she is about 7 years old and we got her about 4 years ago from a shelter. she doesn't do well around men, in general. she's calm when it's just her and me, or my mother, but around my husband she's always pacing, pacing. she's also a licker.

we had to take the carpet out of the bedroom, where she sleeps on the floor by the bed, by us, because every night she licked and licked. it was an old carpet, and the fibers would come up from her licking it. then she would throw up/

we talked to the vet, and got some meds, but i didn't like the way it made her dopy, so we only use that in have-to cases. most of the time, we just try to sooth her.

we think that she was abused before we got her. dogs definitely can suffer from post traumatic stress.

she's a great dog though. she's very loyal and smart, too.

debbie

10. MorrisonCorner

MorrisonCorner Mansfield, VT for 200 yrs

We stop Rescues from chewing or licking with Vics Vapor Rub. Really effective... and your whole house is breathing clearer in no time!

11. JAS

JAS Well-Known Member

My Weimaraner drives me nuts, but the more I tell him to quit it, the more he has to do it. I realize it is a dogs way of saying I'm the boss--respect . . . . but I can't stand it. He also nips at me when he gets out of the pen for his walks, sometimes he gets skin! I took him to obedience school and did not pass. We got him from the pound at about 5-8 months old and he really wanted attention.

I don't think you can teach them to stop, it is their instinct. Consider it a show of "love". :(

12. sue currin

sue currin Well-Known Member

where do you put the vick's rub, My freind has a dog that they saved, that will lick your pantis off and the wall paper off his walls. she is a kind dog but this licking has got to stop.. thanks sue

13. tallpines

tallpines Well-Known Member

This is probably way out in left field........
    but..maybe she's after the 'salt".

Offer her a piece of salt block next to her feed dish.....

14. stormwalker

stormwalker Well-Known Member

Has anyone tried giving them a lickable toy, or tried distractions, such as "fetch" or other mouthy games, so they might have an outlet that was acceptable?
    For truly obsessive licking on the dog itself, I've found the green apple spray in animal supply stores is pretty effective.

15. outofmire

outofmire Well-Known Member

We have a licker too, but we don't think it's annoying. She only seems to do it when she's saying hi for the first time in a while.....like she's overly happy or something.

The Vicks rub sounds like a good idea. If that doesn't work, I would think you could train a dog to stop licking the way you'd do anything else. The way I've gotten my dogs to get down or not bite would probably apply here. You spend some time petting and giving them attention. Everytime it tries to lick....grab it's muzzle, squeeze and shake firmly, but not in anger and at the same time say "no" assertively but don't shout. Then keep resume petting...and tell it how good it's doing if it does what you want for a second. You might want to take a break after it does well so that things end on a good note. Don't expect perfection. Try this several times a day, first with yourself. Then after several days and the dog is seeming to get the hang of things, try it with one of the kids....then two kids.

You'll probably notice that once it's starting to figure it out, it'll think about licking, but will stop itsself. Good luck!