Training help please!

Discussion in 'Working and Companion Animals' started by Lauriebelle, Apr 9, 2006.

1. Lauriebelle

Lauriebelle Well-Known Member

Hi y'all!

After losing several chickens to a neighbors dog and a couple of strays, we decided to get an outdoor dog to train for protecting our animals/property.

A coworker gave us a Mastiff/Great Pyrenese cross. She is about 11 weeks old and I'm wondering if anyone has advice on how I need to train this girl!? Right now we just have chickens but we're planning on getting a few goats in the near future. Would it be better to get them right away so that she's raised around them?

I'm planning on training her on her boundaries over the next several weeks as well. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

2. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

Hi Lauriebelle, congratulations on your pup. I hope she is able to provide you the protection you seek. I'm raising my first Great Pyr puppy. Jazz is 7 months old now and spends part time with my goats and part time inside. What I've read suggests that one doesn't train them. Guarding comes instinctually. When we brought her home I put her in a box with a bottle kid I was feeding. They got along great (the kid was only 1 week old). I've given her the option of deciding if she wants to be in with us or out with the goats and more and more she's choosing to be outside with the goats. She's following the herd around now most of the day. I did have to get on her about chasing the guineas (My Catahoula taught her that :mad: ) If you are not ready for goats, it might be more of a hassle to you since goats are a challenge to keep contained. That said, since LGD's work on the premise that what they are guarding is theirs, I do not know how introducing an LGD to goats later would work out.

3. Maura

Maura Well-Known Member Supporter

Do normal house training for now. This dog is going to be independent minded, so you want him to understand who is in charge and what is expected of him. Keep him off the furniture and beds, even if you allow other dogs on the furniture and beds. He will need a solid sit, down and stay. Do not pet him, feed him, let him outside, or give him any other priviledges unless he earns them with a sit, a down, whisper, or something. Teach him "leave it", you will need this to control him around livestock that is frightened of him.

I'm sure he will be a wonderful addition to your homestead :dance:

4. westbrook

westbrook In Remembrance

Here is a great article ... http://www.anatoliandog.org/poultry.htm I know it says Anatolian... but so what! subsitute GP everywhere it says Anatolian.

Please go to http://lgd.org there is a discussion list for our dogs and lots of folks to help. Also look at the "Library" there is wonderful articles on how to train these dogs.

5. wvpeach1963

wvpeach1963 WVPEACH (Paula)

With a larger breed its important right away they know you are the boss.
    Be firm. It will save you a lot of heartache later.
    We have four large dogs and new farm critters have to be introduced to the dogs with a firm this is mine. Once he knows that critter belongs to you he will leave it alone and guard it well.

our dogs kill wild animals that wander too close to the house and barns,
    and unfortunately the occasional cat. But we have three cats that lay around on the dogs , grundingly but they do. I've even seen our dogs go heard our cats in from the fields at night, knowing that at darkness they would not be safe.

The key is too establish your dominance over the dog and your dog will accept his duty to protect your critters. '

But heaven help wild critters in the barnyard.