Training harness

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Cornhusker, Apr 19, 2006.

1. Cornhusker

Cornhusker Unapologetically me Supporter

I'm pretty excited, I got my training harness today.
    Basically it's a belly strap, harness and reins to get the goats used to being guided from behind. I have a full harness ordered, so when it gets here, we'll strap a goat to the new cart and see what happens. :)
    Well, maybe we'll work up to the cart. :cool:

2. dkdairygoats

dkdairygoats Well-Known Member

I've seen those things, let us know if they really work. They certainly are a cheaper alternative to a regular harness, and an easy way to find out if the goat will tolerate pulling.

3. ihedrick

ihedrick Can't stop thinkin'

I'm glad I am not the only one who hopes to train a goat to pull! Where did you order your harnesses from? I found a used cart in the newspaper and figured I'd give it a try. So now I need to get a harness...too bad the one I had for my mini horse won't fit.

4. Starsmom

Starsmom Well-Known Member

Please tell where you got your harness...My son is wanting to train one of his goats to drive and wants to make it a 4H project. Let us know how it goes and any tips you may have to offer will be appreciated.

5. Freeholder

Freeholder Well-Known Member

Hoegger's sells goat harness and the training harness, I'm sure. Have you looked there?

Kathleen

6. moosemaniac

moosemaniac Well-Known Member

I have a training harness. It works great! I got my full harness custom made by a local Amish man. It's nylon and all red, white & blue. Gorgeous! We are going to graduate Bogart to pulling the cart this weekend. I can't wait to get started.

Ruth

7. Cornhusker

Cornhusker Unapologetically me Supporter

This is where I get my harness.
    http://www.geocities.com/twomanyirons/
    Very nice lady to deal with, and reasonably priced.
    I couldn't find an affordable cart, so I'm making my own, It's nearly complete, I just have a little wood work to do and paint and upholstery and it's done.