Training for protection

Discussion in 'Working and Companion Animals' started by motdaugrnds, May 8, 2006.

1. motdaugrnds

motdaugrnds II Corinthians 5:7 Supporter

I have raised full-blood shepherds, training them in obedience with hand signals. My son has trained a pitbull in attack. We usually let the protective instinct of the animal serve without additional training; however, this year we have a different situation.

We have a full-blood (long-haired) german shepherd now 3 yrs old who is obviously an "alpha" female. We also have a loud-mouth drunk for a neighbor who teases her on a daily bases. I am concerned that should this drunk wonder over sometime, he might not like his greeting; and though I have a strong dislike for this guy, I don't want my dog hurting him too badly. Thus, I want this shepherd trained well.

I would appreciate information (pros and cons) on attack training and on schutzhund training, knowing these are similar. (I also have heard there is legislation out concerning attack training and do not want to do anything causing my family problems.) All the information I can get will be helpful.

2. MARYDVM

MARYDVM Well-Known Member

First, you need to stop using the words 'attack training". Totally inaccurate description of what responsible trainers teach, and a huge liability for you if your dog is labeled attack trained.

Protection training is not something you train for a few months - it is a lifelong committment. Obedience comes first, while a puppy's drive to bite is developed with tug games. Being an alpha female does not guarantee your dog has what it takes to be a reliable protection dog. You need to attend club practices for local ScH, Ring, or other protection dog sports to learn what is involved in owning a dog like this. Do not turn your dog over to a kennel that advertizes it will train it to protect you in however many weeks. Lots of incompetents and scam artists out there.

And no standard home owners insurance will cover a protection trained dog. You will need to get additional coverage from an insurer that covers working dogs.

3. NCGirl

NCGirl Well-Known Member

Schutzhund training is not something to be taken lightly. If you want to go this route visit a schutzhund club and learn under an experienced helper in a club atmosphere. Do not let someone that teaches "personal protection dogs" do the training unless he has titled several dogs in Schutzhund. Otherwise you are likely to be taken for a ride and create a very dangerous animal and one that you might be a walking lawsuit waiting to happen.

4. doozie

doozie Well-Known Member

5. Maura

Maura Well-Known Member Supporter

Rather than training your dog to bite, you can train her to jump on the man and knock him over. You can train her to be a specified distance from a man and bark and snarl. There are options besides the high liability attack.

6. dcross

dcross Well-Known Member Supporter

Maybe a restraining order against the neighbor? If he wanders over despite that, I would think you would be less vulnerable?

7. Patty0315

Patty0315 Well-Known Member

Also saying they are full blooded means nothing to most. Just because a dog is "full blooded" doesnt't mean its a good dog.

If anyone understood schutzhund or protection training you would know there is nothing to fear from a dog trained correctly. The fear should come from people who train "attack" dogs at home.

I have had schutzhund dogs and have 2 now getting trained for there titles. I have never once feared them being around my children or in a public place or when I let someone into my house. Now God help you if you came in to do harm.

I would suggest everyone to go to a schutzhund or police dog trial if possible. You will be amazed at what you see.

Patty