Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
"Train up a child in the way he should go and when he is old he will not depart from it" This is a bible verse I have clung to since the day my first child was born. My children don't remember a time when we as a family didn't attend church and both made professions of faith at a young age. I don't mean to give the impression we were anything but an average bible believing family, trying to live the best we could, and raising our children the best we could, yet making our own mistakes along the way. As my son started into puberty, I was really starting to wonder if I'd done all that was expected of me in the above verse. Well, my son never got into any legal trouble, but he never followed the path he was taught. Many tears have been shed and our hearts have been broken many, many times. I'm sharing all this because many of you have asked for prayers, and this is great. Well, now I ask for you to join with me in lifting up praise and thanks. We're finally seeing many prayers being answered. Our son is 38 years old and he's started back to church again. He's opening up and talking with me about this and I sense his sincerity and need. The sad part right now is he's going alone. His wife won't go with him. She's another denomination, and has no interest in going with him or to her own faith. This is going to be hard for him. I felt a desire to share this with those of you who might be going through some of the same heartbreaks we've gone through and say, don't ever give up hope, and hang onto the verse above. Just remember the verse says, when he is old. It just doesn't say how old. I had reconciled myself to the fact that I might not see the change in my lifetime. Please join me in giving thanks, and asking his wife be touched in some way.

·
..where do YOU look?
3,920 Posts
This is AWESOME news (and it's about how long it took me).

We must remember two things about this verse in Proverbs, first, it does not say that we won't stray; just that - if raised well - that we have something to return to when we mature. Second, proverbs are not promises. They are anecdotes and witticisms that are true 50% or more of the time.

R

·
Premium Member
16,652 Posts
I agree with WindowOrMirror, it says "When they are old they will not depart. I had strayed for many years, but God's word is alive. You can leave the person who speaks the word of God to you, but you carry that word with you and it will continue to work long after the words are spoken. My prayers go up for your son and his wife. Encourage him to continue going to church, and eventually, prayerfully, his wife will join him.

·
Premium Member
1,714 Posts
Country Lady, what a wonderful feeling to see your children return! I am still waiting for some of mine.

I have a friend who is a nutritionist in a nursing home. One day she came upon a resident crying. She sat down beside her and asked if there was anything she could do. The lady replied that there wasn't anything wrong, but her son had just phoned and said he had given his heart to the Lord. She said, "I have been praying for him every day for 68 years. What a wonderful God we have who answers a mother's prayers."

·
Premium Member
2,981 Posts
I will most definitely give thanks and praise to God right now. We are going through this now with our three (12, 14, 18). I have despaired and wondered where we have gone wrong. We have a different situation as we are a blended family and I have thought that was the problem (and probably is). But I will stand upon this promise. Thank you!

·
Registered
7,309 Posts
I have seen this in my familoy. Out of 11 kids only 3 of us attend church regularly. My parents are so disappointed. I continue to pray the God will bring them back to Him. Maybe some day...........

1 - 8 of 8 Posts