Train a child in the way she should go.......

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by bethlaf, May 7, 2005.

1. bethlaf

bethlaf Homegrown Family

and she will let you know how bad she wants bacon........

SHe will be five in july. and she loves when we butcher animals.....she only names the ones she eats! LOL

[​IMG]

2. Mr. Dot

Mr. Dot Well-Known Member

Uh-oh. I can almost hear Child Protective Services knocking.

Nice pic. What do you guess the weight at? I like the cart and is that a cordless sawzall?

3. djuhnke

djuhnke Well-Known Member

Mine do a dance when they know its pork or bacon or ham or sausage or... Kids understand what the animals are there for in fact they helped my wife and I yesterday keep momma pig distracted when we notched the piglets ears and castrated the males. When they get abit older (and bigger) I could see them helping butcher chickens and the occasional pig.

Dan

4. bethlaf

bethlaf Homegrown Family

my Daughter weighs about 45LBs and yes thats a cordless sawzall.....
    OH and the pig weighed about 225 Half berkshire half wild hog.

5. dalilies

dalilies Well-Known Member

We are on our first pig, but my 3 yr old is already asking when we can eat Burbanks. After we butchered chickens for the first time, he kept asking why we weren't hanging the rest of the chickens from the tree. Boy loves to know what he is eating.

Glad to see you are teaching your daughter right. Every woman needs to know how to handle power tools. :haha: :haha: :haha:

Jennifer

6. Mr. Dot

Mr. Dot Well-Known Member

:haha:

I almost specified but I figure everyone needs a straight-man ever now and then. As in Abbott & Costello - not San Francisco & Houston.

After you get her squared away with butchering you might want to work on the tying her shoes thing. ;)

7. vtfarma

vtfarma Well-Known Member

Our kids were3 and 5 when they started helping for real with the butchering of the chickens. They even helped with the easy stuff on the big animals that young. My daughter was the only kindergartener who could gut a chicken. They also knew all about hearts, kidneys, the liver and lungs. They really scared the early grade teachers I think! As they got older the science teachers just love them. They keep begging for pieces of tissue or a heart to study.