Trailer Woes

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by YoungOne, Oct 13, 2006.

1. YoungOne

YoungOne Well-Known Member

I am hoping for some trailer stories to make me feel better. :Bawling:

For the 2nd time in a week I decided to unload the quad from the trailer at work (in the warehouse) without attaching the trailer to a truck:doh:. As many of you cringe, I inform those who do not know, NEVER DO THIS. Both times the trailers front end fly's in the air picks the most valuable object in reach and as you finnish getting off the front end slams down on it. First time (last friday) it chose a box of soil sample bags:doh:. That jack cut through them and spread soil (not a good thing) then today the trailer decided to lunge forward, knock a box of glass bottles off the shelf and into the side of the NEW truck (bottles not trailer):doh::doh:. A few minor slits in the paint job, a wax job should fix it but :doh: I need to remeber not to do this.

Last winter I decided to unhitch a loaded trailer without thinking about balance (I had a 57' Nash Ambassador's engine/transmission sitting on the tail of a 24' trailer) and realizing something was wrong decided I was the man:viking: and knew what was best so used a hammer to break the tounge free from the hitch and the tounge went into the back of my explorer. Why can I not rember this very basic principle. PLEASE HELP (with stories :) )

2. rambler

rambler Well-Known Member Supporter

I backed a little tractor & tiller off a small trailer in my yard. Started thinkig about it right at the time I started seeing more & more sky. Looked over at my wife & her friend - I guess with a silly grin on my face as I tilted back to where I only saw sky. Got the loader, pushed the tongue back down, & finished driving off the trailer.

Don't think I will make that mistake a 2nd time.

At the demo derby years ago, a fellow several cars over ran his smashed up car up onto the trailer. Had to kinda run it up quickly as it was dragging some. He or his friend forgot to lock the hitch. It flew up in the air, came slamming back down. _On the ball_, just like nothing was wrong.

Amazing.

--->Paul

3. Auric

Auric Registered Doofus

A few months ago I agreed to help a friend pick up a project Porsche that he'd bought. He rented a UHaul trailer and I let the UHaul guy hookup the trailer to my truck's hitch, while I checked the trailer lights. We loaded the car onto the trailer, drove the truck/trailer/car to Willy's house, including some 75 mph interstate travel, and then proceeded to unload it at Willy's house. As he steered the car off of the trailer, the tongue came off the ball and into the air. As the car left the back ramps, it then fell onto the ground behind my truck and next to where I was standing. I hope I've learned my lesson about trusting "the guy that works at the place". Time will tell. Meanwhile, I'm still counting my lucky stars.

4. Windy in Kansas

Windy in Kansas In Remembrance

If you absolutely must play with danger and unload an ATV without the trailer being hooked up---you can support the back of the trailer with jack stands to prevent the front from sailing to the sky.

Always make sure you have room behind the ATV to get it off of the trailer too.

5. YoungOne

That's just it I wish my mind would remind me of the danger and stupidity so that I would remember to hitch up.

6. Farmer Willy

Farmer Willy Well-Known Member Supporter

Here's your sign........

7. fordson major

fordson major construction and Garden b Supporter

over thirty years ago i was hitching up a trailer too the hitch on a truck ,the trailer hit a bump and surged forward mashing my hand into the truck bumper. made me have too use my nondominant hand for many years! we hitch up with two people most times now. we also block the rear end on a trailer ,our skidsteer is kinda heavy coming off !

8. foxtrapper

foxtrapper Well-Known Member Supporter

For me, trailer lights have a lifespan measured in minutes of use. Invariably, I will find something to smash the lights out on.

My trailer mishaps usually involve me being sick, and therefore doing something less than clever. I've never been hurt, and never wrecked anything, but I've sure come close and been darn lucky.

Like the time I was towing the truck in for an inspection on the dolly. It decided not to start when I went to take it off. No problem, I'll just unhitch the dolly and tilt the truck off. Well, yea, it worked. I unhitched, and the dolly instantly flipped the tongue up, just missing smashing my face. The truck of course immediately came off. Heck, it was flung off... downhill, not in gear, parking brake not set. I chased it down and got it stopped a few feet before it smashed into customers cars.

9. YoungOne

Now thats the kind of story that makes me feel good, thanks :rotfl:

10. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    My 16 foot vehicle hauler has 5 foot 5 inch ramps that also double as the last 2 sideboards, they clip into the back on a receiving slot. Placing a pair of car ramps at the outside end causes a lack of trailer rising when unloading.

11. Big Dave

Big Dave Well-Known Member

Last week: 1Ton F350 hooked up to a 38' gooseneck trialer. Ramps lowered, parking brakes set, truck turned off and it is in reverse gear. I was loading a Genie lift. I have loaded this lift many times with no problems. To load this lift you have to ride the lift up on the trailer and if you do not raise the basket up about ten to fifteen feet it will hang as it creeps forward. As the rear wheels of the lift came off the concrete onto the loading ramp the entire trailer and truck started to move forward. The feeling of shear terror and the screaming like a little girl attracted a lot of looks. (This event took place at a trucking company) The side product was I had a birds eye view of the whole event. The truck and trailer broke over the crest of the hill where the loading area was located. The whole thing gaining momentum. The truck started to turn and the trailer kept going forward. As the truck turned completly sideways to the trailer it began to tilt on its side and the trailer kept going foward. The truck is now acting as a brake crushing the passenger door, headache rack and front quarter panel.I did about sixty feet in under ten seconds. Screaming like a little girl may be fun to laugh about now, but believe you me THAT was a hair raising experiance for me.

12. YoungOne

WOW Big Dave, that's a horror story, glad your OK.