Trailer Wiring

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by Carol K, Nov 5, 2005.

1. Carol K

Carol K Well-Known Member

Ok, woman needs help!
    Finding myself on my own for the first time in a while, I am fitting a Hoppy Adapter trailer plug to my Dodge Durango, but it says to connect the white ground wire to the car. What is the correct way to do that? The white wire has the little connector loop, but how do I fix it to the car? Would like to learn to do this right the first time, and I know you guys are the ones to ask,

Thanks
    Carol K.

2. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

..............Carol , the adapter plug ...coming From the trailer should have small round holes fashioned in a circular pattern around the outer perimeter of the "plug" . Each hole should also have a small set screw that you UNscrew , slide the end of the ground wire (with insulation removed)
    into , then tighten the screw back up and the wire should be making connection . *note...each hole should be marked with respect to it's specific job , such as ground will be abbreviated as....gnd. I believe . Now , if you have all other wires connected , go ahead and connect the trailer to the Durango via the ball . You see , the metal to metal connection betwixt the trailer and the ball on the durango ....is ALSO a ground.....although most folks don't seem to realize that fact . Now , turn on your vehicle lights and see if the trailer lights work , as they should . If they work then you have a ground even if the ground wire hasn't been connected . It IS best to connect the ground wire as indicated, BUT if you're having trouble you can still pull the trailer if the lights work as I noted above . fordy..... :)

3. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    If its a 4 wire connector do as follows, the yellow goes to the left tail light, the green goes to the right tail light, the brown goes to the running lights, and the white is ground wire. The ground carries no currant but must be there to establish a pathway for the currant which is consumed at the light.

Attaching the ground is accomplished by drilling a hole and adding a secure screw or adapting it to an exsisting screw. The third way is to get a larger loop connector that will fit any found screw or bolt, just make sure the wire is bare where it is squeezed to the larger loop connector. Releying on the trailer ball as a ground is not an adequate fix, only some of the time it will not work correctly due to dirt, grease, or whatever. Rust also causes it to not connect correctly.

4. Carol K

Thanks Guys,
    this was all pre wired and the instructions just said to make sure the white wire with the loopy thingy on the end is grounded to car, I think what Mitch said about screwing it to an existing screw or drilling a hole is what I need to do, appreciate the help.

Carol K

5. ace admirer

ace admirer Well-Known Member Supporter

yeah, i think what you have is a break out adapter. you unplug your existing rear light connector, and insert the Hoppy tee and connect the existing car cable back into the tee...then plug the Hoppy trailor lead into the third leg of the tee..Right? then the trailor lead has a crimped on ring connector on a white wire? yes ,what you are looking for is a metal surface on the body of the vehicle...didn't the kit come with a screw? if so its a self tapping. it will drill a hole in sheetmetal then the screw threads will fasten the ring connector to your body (erh,,,your vehicle body,,,sorry). funny i was working on my wifes new blazer at 2:00 am last night to add a hoppy connector similiar to yours. i was lucky, i found a factory screw already in the underside of her vehicle body (got it correct that time) so i loosened it and used it for the white ground wire ring connector. a little extra effort is needed here so you will have years of trouble free service... protect from water and rust.

6. Carol K

Hi Ace,
    well the Hoppy is not the T one but similar, the Durango came with a flat 4 plug, well that's good for my small trailer, but I have a stock trailer to, that has a 7way, so needed a multi use adapter, and yep Hoppy sell one! I looked for a self tapping screw but it didn't come with one, but now i know what to do, I'll get one. If anyone is looking to adapt a trailer, google Hoppy, they have every sort of plug, and it saves you splicing etc etc.

Carol

7. Beeman

Beeman Well-Known Member

If you have a stock trailer you need a brake controller to activate the brakes on the trailer. Just adapting a 4 wire to a 7 wire will not give you brakes, only lights.

8. Carol K

Thanks beeman, yes I am picking one up this week, the plug is also for an electric brake controller, pre wired, gotta love that Hoppy stuff!

carol K

9. ace admirer

ace admirer Well-Known Member Supporter

Might i suggest a brake controller by Tekonsha, model name PRODIGY, i think its suppost to be top of the line. except for setting the amount of brakes needed (depending of trailor load) its pretty much install and forget. i saw the hoppy model when i was looking for my wifes wire set, but did not study it.

10. Carol K

I believe we had one by that make in a Suburban a few years back, thanks Ace I'll look at them this weekend.

Carol K

11. cfabe

cfabe Well-Known Member

I will second the reccomendation for a tekonsa prodigy if you'll be doing a lot of towing. It's a little pricey, but a very nice unit. We have one that we use in our suburban for towing a 10k lbs travel trailer.