Trailer questions

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by homebirtha, Nov 18, 2006.

1. homebirtha

homebirtha Well-Known Member

We've been contemplating buying a trailer for awhile. We'd like to have one for hauling a few hogs to the butcher, as well as turkeys or chickens, maybe a few goats. We have a pickup with a cage for the back that has worked for now, but I'm not sure if we're going to be able to use it for the pigs at 250 lbs. Have you ever gotten your butcher-weight pigs up and into a pickup? I'm not sure how they'll handle that steep of a ramp.

Soooo... I'd love to find a cheap livestock or horse trailer, but so far, no luck. We're also considering a used open utility trailers, and adding sides and a roof? Like this: http://www.tractorsupply.com/detail.asp?pcID=3&paID=1023&sonID=733&page=1&productID=17344

Or, what about those Carmate-type enlcosed trailers, like this:
    http://www.tractorsupply.com/detail.asp?pcID=3&paID=1023&sonID=731&page=1&productID=17329
    Could they be modified to haul animals by opening it up somehow to allow ventilation? Do you think their sturdy enough to hold pigs?

Any other suggestions?

2. Up North

Up North KS dairy farmers

3. Rob30

Rob30 Well-Known Member Supporter

We have loaded pigs of all sizes into both trucks and trailers. Trailers are easier to load. But if you are stuck your best bet is to build a loading ramp with an adjustable end. Make a shoot just wide enough to run a full grown pig through it. At some point you will want to load the trailer and the truck.
    We throw pigs in the trailer and goats in the truck. Giving us a more profitable load to haul to the market.

4. caroline00

caroline00 Well-Known Member

we have loaded both ways but we only own a truck so that is our usual method of loading. We generally take some cattle panels and build sides to our ramp. Just T Posts holding it upright. Then we get a thick piece of plywood for the ramp and chum the pig up into it. We have used lawnmower ramps unsuccessfully. They need to have a solid surface.. if they can see thru it to the ground, you wont get them up there.

WE have a ditch along the road. This time we are going to park the back of the truck in the ditch (hopefully the ground will be dry or frozen) and put the ramp from the ground to the truck with less of an angle to the ramp.

WE have an appointment on Dec 4th. So I wont know until then how that works. Our breeder made a gated chute for us at his place. It is wonderful. so we no longer have trouble loading at his place.

We have also chummed friends who own livestock trailers with ham/pork chops and sausage to help us transport. That is also easier than a truck. Thats one benefit. After the butchering, you have some goods to barter with.

5. savinggrace

savinggrace COO of manure management

Hi,

A lot of those smaller trailers are made of fiberglass; I would think you could 'fortify' them with solid board sides halfway up (or good plywood)

We have a used steel livestock trailer that is tall enough for two horses. Some time ago (prior to us) it was modified with vents about pig-level that have steel vents which is nice to keep piggies from cooking!

It's NOT pretty. But it functions, comes in handy for all sorts of things, and we won it on EBAY for 600.00

:p

6. Up North

Schuette Mfg. & Steel Sales offers their 6'X8' single axle steel stock trailer for $2,010. This includes All steel construction, 2" thick treated floor, New Tires, Torflex axle, & electric brakes. the info can be accessed at:

www.schuettemfg.com or by calling (920)-758-2491

7. beeman97

beeman97 Well-Known Member

you could check out your local farm auctions, we got our little stock trailer( just alittle 2 stall horse trailer) for under 300 bucks at the last one we went too.
    it is low to the ground for easy loading of hogs. i wouldnt trade it for anything for hauling hogs & the like.
    Rick

8. homebirtha

homebirtha Well-Known Member

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm keeping my eye out. If we don't find one in time, I think we'll rent a Uhaul trailer and keep looking.

9. John Schneider

John Schneider Well-Known Member

In the spirit of this website, my suggestion is to check out the auctions nearby or comb the "bargain finder" papers etc. We saw our little trailer sitting for sale in a neighbor's yard for months. One day I finally stopped in and asked if he was interested in a trade. He asked what I had to trade and I had to think about it awhile...suggested my old Polaris quad and it was a done deal. He was a mechanic who could fix the quad up and I got a nice little trailer. We have built 'ledges' that cut plywood fit into making our trailer a double or even triple decker for hauling chickens. Slip the plywood out for cattle. Works great.

www.goldforestfarms.blogspot.com

10. Up North

John you're gettin to be quite an AC Collector. Some nice buys there. Those Wd & WD45's had the benefit or replicating live PTO power thru the clever use of the hand clutch...Cheers.