Trailer for hauling livestock

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by homebirtha, Nov 18, 2006.

1. homebirtha

homebirtha Well-Known Member

We've been contemplating buying a trailer for awhile. We'd like to have one for hauling a few hogs to the butcher, as well as turkeys or chickens, maybe a few goats. We have a pickup truck with a cage for the back that has worked for now, but I'm not sure if we're going to be able to use it for the pigs at 250 lbs. I'm not sure how they'll handle that steep of a ramp.

Soooo... I'd love to find a cheap livestock or horse trailer, but so far, no luck. We're also considering a used open utility trailers, and adding sides and a roof? Like this: http://www.tractorsupply.com/detail...productID=17344

Or, what about those Carmate-type enlcosed trailers, like this:
    http://www.tractorsupply.com/detail...productID=17329
    Could they be modified to haul animals by opening it up somehow to allow ventilation? Do you think their sturdy enough to hold pigs?

Any other suggestions?

Cross-posted on the Pig board too. Sorry about that.

2. Esteban29304

Esteban29304 Well-Known Member

3. fin29

fin29 Well-Known Member

We have similar needs to yours, and we rent from Uhaul. We haul pigs in a 4x8' enclosed trailer. They're $10 a day. A quick sweep and a pass through the local carwash on the way back to Uhaul and we're good.

4. homebirtha

That crossed our minds too. I'm glad to hear it works. No suffocated pigs or shifting loads? Those were the two things I wondered about with a non-livestock-specific trailer.

5. fin29

fin29 Well-Known Member

Nah--they're not airtight by any means. We put down a bale of shavings and the pigs go right in there and lay down for the ride. We're going to try it with our turkeys on Monday, so I'll let you know how that goes...

Even if you do it 10 times a year, it takes a lot of $10.00s to make $1000.00, and the maintenance, tires, registration, etc. is already covered.

6. Stephen in SOKY

Stephen in SOKY Well-Known Member

I slightly adapted a set of pickup stock racks I bought at a farm auction for $5 to fit my 5X8 trailer just for the purposes you mention. Works great & I can remove easily to still use the trailer for other things. Just an idea that works for me.

7. Bearfootfarm

Bearfootfarm Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....? Supporter

I use a 5 X 14 trailer that originally had fairly low sides and a ramp on the back, made by Texas Bragg. I had a guy make a frame out of square steel tubing, and welded cattle panels to it to enclose it. If youre handy with a welder its not hard to do and it works great with ny sheep. Ill try to get some pics of it tomorrow. Its similar to this one: http://www.texasbraggtrailers.com/Single Axle Intro..htm

8. rambler

rambler Well-Known Member Supporter

I know money is always an object & you are looking at smaller livestock but;

Tandem axles will _always_ give critters a better ride. If it is in your size/ means, look for something with tandem axles. A single axle without shocks is going to jolt them on every pothole & bump.

--->Paul

9. DaleK

DaleK Well-Known Member

Check around and see what's available for custom truckers in your area. I ship about 40 cows, 50 bull calves and buy about 15 springers every year so there's no shortage of trucking I need to do but for what my custom trucker charges there's no way I could afford to own a trailer and pay for fuel to do it myself.

10. haypoint

haypoint Unpaid, Volunteer Devil's Advocate Supporter

I saw a guy that built an elevated area to feed his pigs. They'd come up the ramp to feed. Since that was their normal place to come to feed, he had no trouble backing the pickup truck to that area and spread some feed in the truck for some self loading pigs.

11. unioncreek

unioncreek Well-Known Member Supporter

I lucked out and bought a 2 horse enclosed trailer for $200. I was going to buy a stock rack as my next cheapest item, but when the trailer came up I jumped on it.

Bobg

12. homebirtha

Wow! That is a deal. I've seen a few for about $700 or so, but that's a little steep for us. I think we'll try the Uhaul this time and see how it goes. Fin is right. That $700 would pay for a whole lot of trailer rentals.

Thanks for all the input.

13. Westwood

Westwood Well-Known Member

Back your truck into the bar ditch and the slope isn't insurmountable. And put a bushel basket over your hog's heads, they'll back right up into the truck.

14. FarmboyBill

FarmboyBill Well-Known Member Supporter

Duel axle, but it had some snap rim wheels which im slowly rerplacing. The sides and top are made opf steel, and it pulls like a lead sled, Im going to, somtime in the future take it all off and go with cattle panels. Ill get a canvis that i can tie around the front when hauling somthing in the rain, or cold weather. For birds I can either put alot of cages in there, or put a canvis over the top and throw them in there loose