Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
watch while you can....i am sure the google elitist will strike it down soon.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hErAwvbRmZU[/ame]

·
Registered
423 Posts
Thanks Elk, It reminded me of my wife grandpa's birth place.. It's a barn now, but used to be a one room house back in 1924 when he was born.

Don't know if you can tell by this pic or not but the log joints were staggered dovetails so the pressure of the log on top held it "in"..

We still have all the hand tools to do them, guess I just don't have the get up and go to do it lol...

·
Premium Member
5,081 Posts
Ooh! I loved it, even if I couldn't understand a word, lol! That house might even stand up to the tornados around here! Thanks Elkie! :)

Kycountry, that's really cool about the dovetail joints! I've never seen anything built like that, bet it's really strong.

I'd love to have something built like that, really strong that you know is going to last for a century or more. Unfortunately, I figure I'll be lucky to get my tiny house built the modern way, lol. I still love to see craftsmanship like these though, post away y'all! :)

·
Banned
10,456 Posts
Many of the older cabins were built that way on the Kenai... there was a small Finnish pop here for the fur business here. Those are the majority of the surviving older cabins yet they were the minority of cabins built. Which kinda tells meet that the are built well.

·
Premium Member
15,981 Posts
I don’t know why anyone would take it down. My DD’s friend build’s log cabins. They are beautiful, but expensive.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts